(Closed) marriage convalidation

posted 7 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
1310 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I am happy to say that no, your husband’s not being baptized will NOT be a roadblock.

You will have to get something called anexpress dispensation” from your local bishop. You and your husband have what is called a “disparity of cult,” cult being the technical term for religion. You have your religion, and he has his none. It is not difficult to get permission 🙂 It just requires paperwork. The requirements are generally:

1. YOU will stay Catholic (he doesn’t have to convert)

2. YOU will promise to do your best to raise your kids Catholic (he just has to be aware that you gave your word)

3. BOTH of you understand and believe that marriage means forever, it’s not okay to have sex with other people, blah blah.

I have never heard of anyone being denied permission when they follow the steps to ask.

The first step is to call your local parish and tell them you are interested in getting your marriage convalidated. Try not to let them intimidate you or put you off; most parishes are very understaffed and overworked. If they don’t call you back, call again. It is not a big ordeal to get it done. I think in some dioceses there are more convalidations than there are weddings! 🙂


The topic ‘marriage convalidation’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors