(Closed) Marriage in Chile officiated by U.S. relative???

posted 8 years ago in Intercultural
Post # 3
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

Some countries may ask for certified proof of certain things like divorce papers or papers proving that you are single. And the other country may want those papers to be translated to their language. Countries also require different amounts of time that you have to be there before the wedding. It is important if you want to be married in another country that you do your research on the laws from the foreign country that you wish to be wed.

The U.S. doesn’t recognize marriages in some countries at all. Greece for example is on the list. Wedding planners and resort personnel may be able to give you helpful advice to help you arrange your wedding. It does not hurt to ask questions but it may hurt not too.

If he marries her there as well the US Citizen paperwork is much more difficult as well.

Post # 5
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

@dayton: First you will need to see if the marriage will be recognized by the U.S. if it is performed in Chile. I went to a wedding in Colombia (South America) in March and they had to get married in the U.S. beforehand because the U.S. does not recognize marriages performed in Colombia.

Also, even if they do recognize weddings performed in Chile, you will need to see what their restrictions are on who marries people. Not all countries/states allow for online ordinated ministers to perform ceremonies.

A quick google search will help you on this one!

Post # 6
2 posts

I would first check with the US embassy in Chile.  They should have information about marriage in that country.  They should also check with immigration in Chile as well. Also, getting to married to someone from Chile in Chile is different from 2 US citizens getting married in say Italy. 

I am getting married to an Argentine in Argentina.  I know here they have 2 ceremonies normally: civil and religious.  Here you must have the civil to be legally married.  The second ceremony is optional.  If Chile does something similar, the brother could officiate that second ceremony.

Again, every country is different so they need to contact the Chilean government and the US embassy. 

The topic ‘Marriage in Chile officiated by U.S. relative???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors