(Closed) Marriage License and Name Change question

posted 12 years ago in Baltimore
Post # 3
746 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

For social security when i changed it before, I just took in the marriage license to prove the marriage and they’ll change it to your married name.  I think all I took to social security was my old card, the marriage license and my driver’s license.  I did not do it by mail, so I’m not sure how that would work.

Post # 4
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

I know this thread is super old, but I still don’t understand…after we get married, do we have to file our marriage license before I can take it to the SS office and get my card changed? 

Post # 5
182 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

In NY the minister or justice of the peace will take your license and fill it out. He/she then sends it to the town/city you filed your license in and then the clerk will mail you your official certificate. I was married 1/7/10 and already received my certificate back from the clerk. When you go to get your license, just ask them what the protocol is and they can tell you the norm.

Post # 6
692 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

You do not need to change anything about your marriage certificate.  Each state has different rules about what goes on (in MD only your maiden name is listed, in other states you list what your married name will be).  The next step is to take a certified copy to the Social Security Office.  Once your new SS card arrives, you can got to the DMV, and then use your drivers license for your banks and credit cards.

The topic ‘Marriage License and Name Change question’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors