(Closed) Marriage License and Out of Town

posted 10 years ago in New York, Capital Region
Post # 3
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2007 - Bride's family summer home in the Adirondacks

I’m pretty sure that (in NYS at least) the marriage license has to be from the same county as the wedding itself.  That said, we got our Essex County license the day before our wedding with no trouble.  I recommend more of a buffer than that since we, um, almost forgot haha, but you shouldn’t have any trouble getting one in Grafton a few days before the wedding if you’ll be there a little bit in advance.

Post # 4
344 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

We are getting married in Westchester, but live in PA, so similar situation. I definitely remember reading somewhere that you must get your license in the county where you’re getting married. We’re going up a few weeks ahead of time and taking a day off to do this. When they allow this online, it will be a god-send!

Post # 5
3 posts
  • Wedding: August 2008

pattyb- I am getting married in almost exactly 3 months, so I started looking into the requirements and found them posted here:


I believe that a marriage license you obtain in any city/county in NY state will be valid everywhere else in the state.  The major restrictions are that the license is only good for 60 days and you must get it at least 24 hours beforehand.  

The website I posted lays out any differences for getting the license in NYC and has a link to NYC’s marriage bureau. 


Hope this helps! 

Post # 7
374 posts
Helper bee

That is a problem for your officiant.  Ask whomever is marrying you this question.  Will you be getting married at the Grafton Baptist Church or somewhere else?  The state park is lovely.  Do they do weddings there?

The topic ‘Marriage License and Out of Town’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors