(Closed) marriage licenses

posted 10 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
4485 posts
Honey bee

The marriage license is only valid for the state you are marrying in. Sometimes, it can even be valid only in a certain county.

If you were planning to marry in Hawaii, you have to get the license in Hawaii, Some states, if not all, have deadlines that the license must be used by. Once you are married, the certificate (which is the documentation that proves you are legally married and something entirely different from the license) is valid in every state so you don’t have to get it renewed in your home state.

Post # 4
18628 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

The marriage license is only valid in Hawaii which means that you need to marry in Hawaii.  Once you get home, you can use the signed marriage license to change your name.

Post # 6
8351 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

View original reply
@sweetlikcake: The best way for you to get the correct answers is to go to the court house where you live and ask the clerk. They will be able to answer all of your questions and make sure that you have all of the correct paperwork.

Post # 7
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Ahh I think there’s a difference in terminology here.

You need to apply for your marriage license in person within 30 days before getting married (because it will expire after 30 days).  After your marriage, you can request a copy of your marriage certificate which shows proof that you got married.  The social security office, DMV, your banks, and etc will ask to see that marriage certificate when/if you change your name or tax filing status.

This resource should be helpful for you:


I don’t see anything on that page about whether you have to wait for the license after you apply.  Where I got married, there was a 5 day waiting period, so I had to apply for my license 5-30 days before the wedding.

Post # 8
1401 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I should add that your marriage certificate can be used in any state to show proof that you got married, Hawaii will just be the state that “holds” those records.

The topic ‘marriage licenses’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors