(Closed) Married & happy… & in a lot of debt!

posted 8 years ago in Home
  • poll: Should I get a 2nd job? (it would be part time)
    Yes. It will be hard, but it'll be the best option : (50 votes)
    88 %
    No : (7 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 3
    2208 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Didn’t you just buy a house?!

If you’re at the point where $25 makes a big difference, I think you need to get creative and work hard. Take the extra job. Have your husband take a survey of his skills and figure out what he is capable of doing. Mowing lawns? Basic handy work? House cleaning? Dog walking? Have him start handing out flyers and putting adds on CraigsList to get any part time work. The informal economy can be helpful.

Post # 4
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

Your husband can wait tables. Or bag groceries. I don’t think it’s “right” for you to work two jobs even if he doesn’t have his GED.

And if you DO work a second job, i hope he does everything so you don’t have to lift a finger! you’re going to be doing a lot of work.

in the meantime, he could start studying for his GED to cut down on the time it takes to get one. If this issue ever comes up again, like if he gets laid off or whatever, he’ll always struggle to find work.

good luck! i do believe you two should SHARE this burden, though.

Post # 5
    Hostess
    18643 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I would get a second job and try to get my husband to work anywhere (even McDonalds or in the retail industry).  You sound like you have a lot of money problems and you really need to have more money coming in.  In this economy, you can’t expect that your husband will definetly get this job so you need to take precautions to take care of your family.

I’m confused why your home needs so much work.  Didn’t you just buy a new home recently?

Congrats on getting married BTW!

Post # 6
    4159 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Congratulations on getting married!

Definitely try and get a second job – I have several side jobs (babysitting, house sitting, looking after a boy with learning disabilities, working with seniors) and all that money has been going towards the wedding.  It might not seem like a lot while you’re doing it, but it’s so worth it. 

I agree with monit – see if your husband can do some small jobs and put ads up on craigslist.  Kijiji is popular where I live, so I’m not sure if that’s an option for you to use too.

Do whatever you can – it’ll make a difference in your every day life, but probably in your marriage for the long run too

Post # 7
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

I agree with ejsy – I think that he should be working rather than you going out and getting a second job. Even if it’s mowing lawns, bussing tables etc. If it proves impossible for him to find a job then start looking into other options.

My fiance didn’t graduate high school due to crazy family problems. He has a good job working in retail at a music store (he plays the guitar). Although the money is not great, it definitely helps us from month-to-month and he enjoys contributing. He is currently working on finishing his high school and after that he is going to be college-bound!

Post # 8
    3125 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

I think that if you can swing it, get that 2nd job. But there are a lot of things he can do and make money doing that don’t require an education. I just heard of an interesting way to make money the other day – a family friend’s daughter and her Boyfriend or Best Friend are making extra money by guest bartending at local bars but working out a deal with the bar owner. On a typically slow night, this bar doesn’t bring in a crowd (barely has anybody, really) so the girl and Boyfriend or Best Friend said that they’d bring in a huge crowd if the owner gave them a cut of the profits, and they could keep all the tips. They social networked for a week or two and got a big group of people in for cheap shots and beers and made money. They do that regularly now b/c it’s a win – win for them and the bars, that would typically make pennies on a slow Tuesday. Not to mention a win for their friends, who get cheap booze and good company.

ETA that you should work with him if you end up doing something like the situation above, or get a 2nd job too (after HE gets a job first) to simply save money for an emergency fund. I have been there with the little to no money, and it’s very tough. Just knowing you have a reserve for EMERGENCIES will help you sleep at night.

Post # 9
    1482 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

Maybe you BOTH should go out and look for work…

There are plenty of jobs around that don’t require a GED.  Restaurants, landscapers, housecleaners, etc.  They might not be the prettiest jobs in the world, but money is money, and you sound like you need it.

Maybe you could check out Craigslist ads for some odd jobs that you could do on the side?  Sometimes you can find little things here and there that might help make ends meet.

Post # 12
    2867 posts
    Sugar bee

I think he should visit the local library and there will be books on getting a GED.  So he can study while he’s not at work.  I still think he should do something, even if it means doing handyman or general lawn care that way he won’t be absolutely committed to a job but he’s still getting a little bit of money.

Post # 13
    58 posts
    Worker bee

I know that your husband has a lot of debt and does not have his GED. Even though this is a tough economy, there are jobs out there for people without a highschool diploma. 

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5002339_require-high-school-diploma-ged.html

He should also spend any free time studying for his GED, on his own. This will help make it cheaper. You can take the test for under 100 bucks at most community colleges.

I am surprised to hear you say that having a house is cheaper than renting. My husband and I just bought a house and the property taxes and mortgage (and we have a small one) make it more expensive than what I was once paying in rent. We had a much smaller space then, but….

Post # 14
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

Oh, i see. Yeah that’s a tough call. But if you need the money and your husband isn’t bringing any in, I think the second job may just be your only option.

Also–they have waivers for people in financial need. Could he get a waiver to get his GED?

Post # 15
    139 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

There are tons of ways to save money, ask all your family, neighbors, and friends if they get the newspaper, and if they do, ask them if you can have the sunday coupon ads out of them.

When I was not working, I learned to stretch my 50 a month food budget as far as it would go, and coupons really really helped. Yes, it is a pain in the butt, but I save between 75-85% of my food bill each week just clipping those darn suckers out.

Getting a second job wouldnt be too bad, but I would really exhaust every effort to save a penny here and there first, because you’re body and mind will go faster working and working and working all the time.

Sparksavers.com is an excellent way to track exactly how much money you’re spending. You’ll be surprised at little tiny things or habits that add up really fast that could be allocated towards much better choices.

Post # 16
    3219 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2010

I work 2 jobs. I only work 1 day a week at my 2nd job but that $80-100 makes a HUGE difference.

Your Hubs should also be getting a job doing whatever he can, lowes & home depot are always hiring

The topic ‘Married & happy… & in a lot of debt!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors