(Closed) Married at Alma Mater?

posted 7 years ago in Catholic
Post # 3
1160 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

You can do a Catholic ceremony even if one of you is not Catholic. They just encourage that you do marriage rite plus readings, not a full Mass. (Forgive me if you’ve already decided to go nondenominational–this is just in case you want to do a Catholic ceremony and didn’t think it was possible.)

Either way, sounds like your plans will work just fine in the chapel. Most campus chapels are nondenominational.

Post # 4
981 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@RollBride: Is it a Catholic university? My guess is if it is not, Catholics need the special permission because the Catholic Church requires you do so in order to get married anywhere outside of a Catholic church.

Post # 6
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@RollBride: The reason you need permission is because your campus chapel is most likely not a parish church. In order to get married outside of a parish setting, you need permission.  For instance, we got married at our alma mater, where the church is actually a parish church on the campus. We could not, however, get married in any of the chapels that are located in the dorms on the campus.  You will also most likely be required to provide a letter of permission from the priest at the bride’s home parish, giving you permission to get married outside of your home church. 

Usually it is discouraged to do a full mass (with communion) when only one member of the couple is Catholic (you don’t want your FH to be left out).  If you didn’t do communion, you really just need the priest.  Usually people just have a deacon when they have a particular reason for selecting that person (family friend/relative, etc), and altar servers really wouldn’t have too much to do without communion preparation.  The priest should be able to provide his own vestments if they don’t have them at the chapel.  I don’t really know a lot about planning a non-Catholic Christian wedding, but I’m pretty sure it would be the same amount of work.  By going with a Catholic priest, however, you will have a few extra rules in place–usually they do not permit secular music, you will have to do pre-cana, etc. 

The topic ‘Married at Alma Mater?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors