Post # 136
- Wedding: May 2014 - Scottish Rite Cathedral (New Castle, PA)
Nothing too extravagant went wrong on our day which was great! We were super happy with all of our vendors so no issues there!
-The day of when we were setting up (we had to set up the morning of the wedding because there was another event in our space the night before) I realized the programs were missing. Our venue was an hour from home but thankfully DH hadn’t left yet and he was able to bring them up with him, oops!
-Also while we were setting up, we had shepherd hooks with tulle draped between them and my wonderful BM’s spent forever setting them up and getting them all even and all the droops the same and then my mother (who always has to have the last touch on things) reached over the tulle to adjust something and put too much pressure on the tulle. It knocked over the shepherd hook and since they were connected it took every single one down in a domino effect!!! We all just watched it happen in horror *sigh*. Had to reset them all and it took a little extra time but in the end it was just fine. 🙂 Here’s a pic so you can imagine:
Post # 137
First thing that jumps into mind is my cake – When I first saw my cake between the ceremony and reception I saw immediately it was decorated horribly wrong, it was white fondant and was supposed to have solid black scrolls on it but instead they just did the scrolls in white and brush stroked only the tips of the scrolls so that it looked like the entire cake was covered in pubic hair. Ugh it was awful. Moreso I was embarassed that people might actually think I had picked that on purpose.
Otherwise my dress got filthy and ripped, our friends acted like total a-holes, the decorating left much to be desired (less than promised), my 10 year old nephew crawled around the floor of the entire hall during dinner popping up under people’s tables with no one wrangling him in and also photo bombed our first dance, and the hall not using the allergy chart I spent hours making for them and people getting served food they had to send back.
Meh. Still best day of my life. Can’t let any of that take away from your memories and all that will go RIGHT… 🙂
Post # 138
Everything went wrong on my wedding day lol. I started a thread about it because it was so bad that it was actually comical. I don’t know if I’m allowed to post the link to it but this is the full story:
Post # 139
We had a black and white silent movie that was supposed to play on the venues TV.. It didn’t work!
Other than that, not a single thing went wrong. I hired amazing vendors, didn’t overcomplicate anything, and our day turned out perfect. Acctually, it turned out better than we both could’ve imagined.
Post # 140
This is so horrible its almost comical! Thankfully you have a great attitude about everything. Honestly.. What a nightmare!
Post # 141
Oh god. I ordered these beautiful light blush tablecloths. The venue set them up and asked me to come see. They were satin. I hate satin. The whole room looked like prom/princess room. I know it sounds silly to moan about table cloths, but it honestly ruined the whole room! We ended up using ivory, and I think I like it more than if we had the blush!
Post # 142
I cannot deal with the cake lol lol…
Post # 143
that is an amazing story. Really impressed you kept your cool. At least you were focussing on the positive: getting married. So many people focus on the wedding they forget the reason behind it.
Post # 144
Thank you! It was a nightmare but only in hindsight. At the end of the day I married my best friend, and we’ve been together for so long that a wedding was just a legal technicality. We enjoyed the day together, we celebrated, and he is forever my husband. Isn’t that what makes the wedding day special?
Post # 146
– Our wedding was September 27th. In Minnesota, that usually means that it’s about 60 degrees outside. That’s what I wanted.. a nice, cool, sunny fall day. On September 27th, 2014, it was 82 degrees. It was so hot. Ugh.
– Since it was so warm, there were bees EVERYWHERE (outdoor wedding). And wasps. My sister/MOH followed me around swatting wasps away from me with her clutch purse lol.
– I made a huge batch of punch and only got a small cup of it because it went so fast. I also only got one glass of champagne.
– The ceremony was supposed to start at 3:00 PM. We started at 2:50 because it was so hot and I was getting crabby, and one of DH’s sisters ended up coming at 3:00 after we’d started. I felt bad for starting without her.
– A ladybug flew into my eye during the ceremony and I had a spaz moment.
– I have a very obviously fake smile in a lot of our formal pictures. I was hot, annoyed with having so many pictures taken, and just done with it overall.The candid shots turned out great, though.
Edit: Oh, and we weren’t legally married on our wedding day. There was an issue with our marriage license and we didn’t legally marry until the Monday afterward (two days later).
Post # 147
The entire wedding planning process for us was crazy.. But our actual wedding and reception were amazing. And yes, things went wrong haha but I over looked it! Some things that went wring were… The table numbers I spent forever painting didn’t make it to the table because DH’s family didn’t find them (lol), we did not do a btidal party entrance like planned it was just us that entered and were announced because everyone else was already seated, for some reason the restaurant gave everyone their extra drink tabs 1.5 hrs early so some people left early (I was ok with that.. More dance room for me! Haha) and the cake did not look like I had hoped (but still tasted amazing!!). I also wish I would have been able to eat more.. I was so nervous before hand I barely ate.. Then I needed to eat crackers while doing pictures because I was DYING lol. And my corset was so tight I barely got to eat dinner. It was all amazing tho and in hindsight I wouldnt change the day at all!! 🙂
Post # 148
So, I’ve been married a little over a week now, which means that my wedding was successful 🙂
That said, there are a couple things that didnt’ exactly go as planned…
- Shortly after putting on my dress (about a half hour before the ceremony), I felt something poking me in the boob/armpit area….turns out the boning in my dress decided it wanted to be free and poked through the fabric (and into me!). Without much time to fix it, we ended up throwing some fabric tape on it, putting a band-aid on me and calling it good enough – It either lasted through the ceremony or I simply didn’t notice, but by the time we went to do pictures I was in PAIN. We ended up going home, grabbing a pair of pliers and taking out all the boning in that one spot. Problem solved.
- Our reception was in a 3-story downtown building. We didn’t want to pay a ton of extra money to set up the night before, so we opted to set up for dinner on the top floor while cocktail hour was going on downstairs (decorations were minimal, so we had plenty of time)…the problem is, someone (and we never found out who….) started telling people, “go on upstairs if you don’t want to stay here and drink”, so about half our guests decided to skip cocktail hour and come directly upstairs…where I was running around in sweat pants putting centerpieces on tables. We didn’t want to kick them out, so they just sat there and watched as we arranged centerpieces and hung lights. Made it kinda anti-climactic.
- Three of the four groomsmen left. One got sick before the reception started, so he skipped the whole thing (poor guy actually stayed in town an extra night because he was sick for the whole next day, too). The others decided they didn’t want to have to pay for a night in a hotel, so they left after dinner to drive the 3 hours back to their hometown. We didn’t know this was the plan….so it was a shock to have them tell us ‘bye right after the toasts. (as a side note, the one groomsman who stayed was incredible…he brought his guitar and played a song for us later in the night as a surprise! It was fabulous!)
Post # 149
I always think of these kinds of situations and wonder why we cant have in the contract to pay half before and half after the service is rendered. I would have a clause in there that explicitly states that if our songs are not played they he doesnt get paid. Period.
Post # 150
I lost my voice the morning of my wedding! I was so scared I was going to have no voice at the ceremony, but luckily it started coming back about an hour before, and I made it through with a husky voice.
I went to put my dress and realised I’d lost weight?? I sent the best man’s girlfriend to the nearest supermarket to find pins to hold it together so it wouldn’t fall down on me.
The groom’s pants didn’t fit either, despite being fitted to him. So again, best man’s girlfriend ducked to the nearest department store to get him something that would do for the ceremony. She was a godsend that whole day.
Not a lot went wrong, and if it did, it was easily fixed – thank goodness!