- 9 years ago
- Wedding: September 2012
Ok, let me see how many things I can remember.
1. The venue called the night of the rehearsal to say that some of the linens they had ordered (cream) came in the wrong size, so they were too short for our bigger 12 top tables. We could either try to squeeze everyone at the smaller sized tables, or use their white covers which wouldn’t match the rest of the cream tables. They asked the company to rush them new cream linens in the right size, and I can’t tell you what color we ended up having for the bigger tabes, and I’m sure my guests didn’t notice either!
2. Our limo driver was late, supposed to arrive 30 mins prior to pick up time, instead called and needed directions because he missed the turn to the venue. Meanwhile, a bunch of people left because they thought the wedding was over as music ended etc and no one knew he had a streamer/confetti exit planned. It worked out ok though, family stayed and some close friends that we asked to wait it out. As it turned out, we couldn’t have fit anymore people at the front entrance anyway so I’m hoping we still got some great exit shots.
3. Also, we reserved a white limo and DH had confirmed it the week of. We got a black limo anyway. DH was really upset thinking I would be upset, but I honestly couldn’t care less at that point. I was more worried when the limo was late that he wasn’t going to show and wondering how we would get to our hotel and how we would do our exit plans and then have no car to get into! Compared to that, black limo was no biggie 🙂
4. We forgot to cut the grooms cake during the reception. Figured this one out when we had a whole cake leftover that night. Luckily, we had planned a pool party celebration for our families the following day at DH’s parents’ house so we cut the cake there. I still wish people at the wedding would have been given the option of white or chocolate cake, but oh well.
5. My bouquet toss was super wimpy which I am quite embarrassed by. One of my bridesmaids luckily ran forward to catch it or it would have fallen on the ground. Right before i did the toss, my DH pointed out to me that there was a huge chandelier above the dance floor and warned me so I wouldn’t hit it. Very sweet, but I overcompensated I guess and had a wimpy toss instead. I don’t know that my photos of the bouquet toss will turn out very well as a result, but the photog had me do a fake toss right before so hopefully we have a good pic of right before I let go of the bouquet instead!
5. My biggest regrets are picture-related. Main one, I am fairly certain there is not a picture of my Mom and me at the reception. I would have loved a pic of us hugging or sharing a special moment, but it didn’t happen. I was running around most the night trying to mingle with guests and she was doing behind the scenes stuff making sure everything went smoothly so there wasn’t a lot of time for us to visit. I was so concerned with talking to everyone who came which is great, most traveled a good distance to be there, but I’d much rather offend a few guests I hardly know and get pictures of me spending time with my closest friends and family at the reception instead. I also don’t have a pic of me with my Mother-In-Law or Father-In-Law at the reception I don’t think. At least we have the father-daughter dance and we did do family portraits right after the ceremony just no candid shots I am aware of which I would have preferred. I do however have the photos of my Mom helping me get ready to look forward to so at least there will be candid pics of me with my Mom just not after I was married!
6. I bought a personalized hanger on etsy for the popular wedding dress hanging by itself photo. When we got to our hotel room, we found out the hanger was hidden by the cornice board. Still got a shot of the dress, but the hanger is not visible. 🙁 I plan to get this shot on my own after the fact and hang it somewhere in my house or at our venue. At least that can be recreated.
7. My Mom embroidered me a monogram patch that we sewed into my dress on the wedding day. We sewed it upside down on my skirt so if i flipped the skirt up it would show right side up. However, in all the excitement of the day I forgot to get this picture 🙁 I feel awful about it because my Mom worked so hard making it. I may try to recreate it and just not have my head in the shot since I won’t have hair/makeup done again. I know the photographer got pics of us sewing it in so it’s captured, but I also was hoping for a cute flipped up pic. Oh well.
8. I think my Dad stood up at the altar with us for far too long. No one else has said anything so I hope no one noticed, but it felt like a really long time to me. I think we should have adjusted the order of our ceremony a bit so he could say his “Who gives this woman” piece earlier. Instead the minister welcomed everyone and said a little something before that part so i think a lot of our early photos may have me with my dad and my DH. I guess as long as we also got a good shot of just me and DH up there though it won’t matter at all. Not like you need 50 pictures of that part for anything.
9. Oh, yeah. Got married at a golf course so we had golf carts that drove us around to various picture locations after the ceremony. We were rushing to get back to the reception at a decent time, and our golf cart died. We switched to another golf cart that was free and that one died too. Our photographer was in a different golf cart so he had to push ours the rest of the way up the hill bumper cars style to get back to the clubhouse for the reception. Funny now, but stressful at the time!
10. I couldn’t see my Dad from my table when he was giving his speech. I tried to lean back in my chair but never got a good view. After his, I decided to stand up so I could see everyone but I wish I had done that in time for his too. 🙁
11. One of the decorations I had bought never got put out. Not a big deal, but we realized we forgot to take it to the venue with all the other decorations the night before while I was getting ready the morning of the wedding. My Mom asked my dad to bring it to the venue before the ceremony and have them set it up. He did, but they still never got put out.
12. I think there was a problem with our shuttles that transferred guests to/from the ceremony from the hotel. We were pretty much ready to go on time, but then someone said we may want to wait because it looked like a lot of our guests hadn’t arrived yet and they thought the last shuttle was still coming with them. So we had to start late which I really didn’t want to do since I’ve been a guest at weddings that started late. Also, other guests probably thought I wasn’t ready which was not the case.
13. Because we started late, there was an issue at the reception of when to close the open bar. It was supposed to be 5 hours, but I think they closed it 5 hours from when we were supposed to start instead of 5 hours after when we actually started. I was oblivious to this one but DH told me about it after the fect. I guess he overheard them saying bar was closing and was able to get it corrected. Hopefully not too many guests noticed that either!
14. Since we started late, the photog asked my bridesmaids and me to go outside to take some pictures before the ceremony to save time. However, this caused my dress to get dirty. I wasn’t good at remembering to let my bridesmaids pick up my train for me before walking to the next spot, so I think I got some dirt marks on the top of the train as well before the ceremony which was too bad. Hopefully they won’t be too noticeable in photos.
15. One of my guests got lost and arrived really late, sat down after the flowergirl started to go down the aisle. Hoping the videographer edits that part out!
16. My Maid/Matron of Honor didn’t use notes and forgot to mention my favorite story. She realized shortly after and came over to apologize. It was the first thig she had planned to say and somehow she just forgot. I wish I would have had that part on video but her speech was still very nice and heartfelt
Ok, I think that’s it. A lot more things than I thought would go wrong, but aside from not capturing some memories the others didn’t bother me in the least. I was so happy that day not a lot would have upset me and looking back on them now they seem kind of silly anyway. I am anxious to see our wedding photos though and I hope we got some really good ones to compensate for some of the ones I had planned that we didn’t get 🙁