(Closed) Married Florida Bees- Name Change?

posted 6 years ago in Florida – Central Florida
Post # 3
2411 posts
Buzzing bee

I think the marriage certificate is sufficient if you just want to change your name with your credit cards, banks, employer, etc.

But if you want to make it legal and official for your passport, driver’s license, voter registration, etc., you have to go through the Social Security office first.

Just do a google and find the one that is closest to you. I went to the one on Semoran down by the airport. I can’t remember what all documents you have to bring, but one of them is your certified marriage certificate. That’s the document you sign at your wedding ceremony, and then your pastor (or whoever marries you) sends it to the courthouse to be stamped and made official and recorded into public records. Then it’s mailed back to you after the wedding.

Once you get that, you can take it to Social Security and change your name. Your Social Security number will stay the same obviously, but they will give you a new card that shows your new legal name. I did this back in December and I recall it was a VERY long wait. Oh my heavens, it was soooo boring. I was there for several hours. So be sure to bring books or magazines to read!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!




The topic ‘Married Florida Bees- Name Change?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors