(Closed) Married Name Isn't Right – Can I Change It Back

posted 6 years ago in Names
Post # 3
2840 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@CfromPA:  You need to look up your state’s law.  My state won’t let me change my name on my social security card without a marriage or divorce license or court order.

Post # 4
1860 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

If for some reason you can’t legally change it on your social security card or driver’s license/etc, can’t you just “go by” your original unmarried name and just sign the hyphenated name on legal documents?

Just put it how you want it on Facebook. That’s pretty much the most legally binding thing out there..  Wink

Post # 5
9114 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Some states will not allow you to change your name (At least as far as social security goes) without a marriage or divorce. You’ll need to check your area’s laws and see what they have to say, or try calling the courthouse. They’d most likely know the proper answer for you.

Post # 6
1144 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

You’d need to go before a judge in ca, basically a court order.

The topic ‘Married Name Isn't Right – Can I Change It Back’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors