- 2 years ago
Well, after a year of planning and many nights scrolling through these boards, our wedding day happened! Thanks to all the bees who reassured me after ‘plain dress regret’, encouraged me when I was sick quite close to the wedding (thankfully I was back to full health for the day), and for the general advice that I’ve read from the boards.
First of all, here are the things that people (especially brides) told me and were in fact true:
- TIME. It absolutely flies – the day started out seemingly slow and relaxed, so much so that we felt ahead of schedule. But as soon as the photographer showed up and we got dressed, everything became a rush and a blur. Things we meant to do were missed, so in hindsight I wish I had written more of a list for the day.
- NERVES. All (well, most) of the nerves and anxiety I was dreading disappeared as soon as I got to the altar and saw my soon-to-be husband. A few women told me that even though they are generally nervous, for some reason their wedding day was different. Was the same for me.
- DRESS REGRET (LACK OF). For all the doubt I had over my dress (see previous posts, and sorry for all the back and forth about it!), I felt amazing in it and got so many compliments! Sometimes get a bit sad that I can’t wear it again!
- MISHAPS. Something will always go wrong – this is true, however I’m lucky that there were no real disasters. We missed a few photos I would have liked, but I am so thrilled with them overall and they really are a great reflection of how we felt on the day.
- BEST DAY EVER. Definitely! I think after being unwell and getting quite stressed from the planning, there was a part of me that wasn’t as excited as I thought I’d be, but boy did that change once it was ‘game day’!
- POST WEDDING BLUES. There’s some truth to this. We had the most awesome day, and there was a bit of a high from it that lasted days if not weeks. People told me that even though it’s a crazy day, they wish they could do it all over again. And again. I agree and still feel that 2 months on!
Here are the highlight photos we got back from the photographer, and a few of my faves. Absoutely thrilled with them! I’m adding more over time to instagram @runningrings
Photography by @nigelunsworthstudios in The Rocks, Sydney
Dress by Sottero & Midgley, design ‘Taiya’ @maggiesotterodesigns
Lace bolero custom made by my dressmaker
Fur store by Review @review_australia
Jewellery by Swarovski, design ‘Diapason’
Reception venue The Tea Room, QVB Sydney @thetearoomqvb
Just want to add in a little disclaimer.I felt it was worth mentioning this because I’ve read a lot of threads/posts where there has been disappointment over how weddings went. I’ve kept my post fairly positive overall, but admittedly and as I mentioned above, the planning process was stressful at times to say the least. Even though the day pretty much went off without a hitch (pardon the pun!), it wasn’t perfect. There were things I struggled with and really only processed after the day was over. I’ve found a lot of comfort in these boards as I can see many of us have some issues in common, so thanks again 🙂