(Closed) Maryland name change – what certificate do I need?

posted 5 years ago in Names
Post # 2
9679 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

I had to go to the county clerk’s office to pick up a copy of my marriage license, took that to the SSA office with me, got my SS number changed, and still need to go to the BMV to get my license changed. I don’t live in MD, but I’m pretty sure you just need to call your local county clerk, ask if you can get a copy of the marriage license there, and they will give you a name change request form to take to the SSA.

Just call your gov office! Ask nicely and they will be nice 🙂 I’m sure they can help you more.

Post # 3
1936 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I’m not going to lie… If you’re at this point right now, you’re better off taking the trip with your maiden name. 

I also do not live in MD but here’s what I had to do:

-Go to county clerks to drop off signed marriage license 

-I was able to obtain 5 certified copies at that time, but I did not go home with the original 

-Received original in the mail about 3 weeks later

-Went to Social Security office with original marriage license

-Received new Social security card in the mail 2-3 weeks later

Then, and only then, would I have been able to get my passport changed, and that would also have taken at least a few weeks.

Post # 4
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

Andthepupmakes3:  This.  You should wait until after your honeymoon to change your name.  The last thing you want is conflicting last names between your legal docs when you’re trying to go abroad.  

It took me 6 weeks to get my passport.  I’m not sure how long it takes to change the name on your passport, but as PP said, it won’t be less than a few weeks.

Post # 6
9198 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013


TrousseauHorse:  chaning your name on your SS card is federal and it is the same in every state.  you only need your marriage certificate (it can be the one the offciant signed) and the this form..


I ran into a little more headache when changing my license.  DMV required a certified copy of my marriage license.  I had to get that from the Baltimore City Courthouseand pay $12 (i think) to get the certified copy.  DMV required your SSN card and certified marriage license.

If you are chaning your name and traveling, make sure all your documents match.

I didn’t change my name until after we returned from the honeymoon.

Post # 7
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

I am from MD.

I was told I need to bring an official sealed copy with me to SSA. I got mine from the clerk’s office.  I didn’t work with Baltimore City, though.  

This is what I found online for obtaining a copy by mail for Baltimore City:

<h2>Request By Mail</h2>

To request a marriage certificate by mail, please include:

  • Wife’s full maiden name (first/middle/last)
  • Husband’s full name (first/middle/last)
  • Date of marriage (month/day/year)
  • Check or money order for $5.50 made out to Clerk of the Court. Out-of-state checks are not accepted, money orders only.
  • Applicant’s mailing address

Mail the request to Clerk of the Court, 401 Bosley Avenue, Towson, Maryland 21204.

Call 410-887-2607 for more information.


Hope that helps!

Post # 8
9198 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013


TrousseauHorse:  my officiant mailed the certificate in right away, so it was available at the courthouse 3 weeks after the wedding when i needed it.  i’m sure it was there sooner.

this is where you need to go.  my Darling Husband took care of picking it up

Baltimore Circuit Court Clerk’s Office<br />100 North Calvert Street<br />Room 628<br />Baltimore, MD 21202<br />(410) 333-3790<br />8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. / M – F<br />Closed state and federal holidays.


Post # 9
9198 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013


LMD:  what you posted is for baltimore county. the OP needs for the city, i posted the address of the courthouse in my previous post.


Post # 10
2847 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

The SS office in Kentucky took that little hand written certificate the minister gives you on the day of the wedding.

Post # 11
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

ajillity81:  +1. 

They didn’t mail a certified copy when I got married in the city, either. My husband had to go get one himself and when he asked if they mailed them, they said they didn’t. It was a simple process to get a copy of it, but I know you don’t have the ability to go there yourself. I’d try calling them. Both SS and DMV needed certified copies to change my name. 


Post # 12
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

ajillity81:  Oh no! Thanks for the correction!

Post # 13
817 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013 - Mansion House at the MD Zoo

TrousseauHorse:  I live in Maryland and did this last year. You should be able to take the marriage certificate that you have (the ‘pretty one’) to an SSA office and have them complete the change there. You also need to bring your current ID and SS card. (If they give you crap, I would recommend trying another office, as sometimes the people working get kind of power hungry or interpret the rules differently.) FYI you have to go into the SSA office, which can take a couple of hours. I’d recommend getting there before they open to get as far to the front of the line as you can. Also they will mail you your new SS card, which can take a week or so. After that, you go to the MVA and get a new driver’s license, then you can apply for a new passport. So if you go tomorrow to SSA, you won’t get your new SS card until late June. THen you have to take another day to go to the MVA, then you can send everything in for your passport. Even with rush processing that’s cutting it awfully close for July. Are you planning on taking the trip in July, or just booking it? If you’re booking it for travel in the fall you’re probably ok because you can get tickets in your new name as long as your ID matches on the day you travel. If you are trying to travel in July I would recommend traveling under your maiden name and not switching your ID and passport until after the trip. The TSA are sticklers that all forms of ID match the full name on the ticket and will not take a name change or marriage license as proof of the new name. Just FYI.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Post # 14
18628 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’m sorry that it is taking so long for you to receive an official copy of the marriage license back.  At this point, I would probably just travel in my maiden name and worry about the name change when I got back.  Officially, you only have to send your marriage license to get the name changed on the passport so you could do that after you went to the SSA to change your name with Social Security.  Put with processing times at 4-6 weeks for a passport, you don’t have a lot of time left.

Post # 15
7819 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I got married in Baltimore City (4 years ago) and they did mail me a copy of my certificate.  Went to the SS office and the new card took 2 weeks to arrive.  MVA took 2 hours.

The topic ‘Maryland name change – what certificate do I need?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors