Post # 1
The background: I work at a position where I make a decent salary for my area. Nothing flashy, and no real chance of “promotion” within the company. I work at a bachelor-level salary with a Master’s degree–it was a lifestyle decision that I was/am absolutely happy with. I work school year hours and have the summers “off” or I can work extra in the summer and be paid extra. I make less money than Darling Husband, but generally love my job. I love my colleague/supervisor and the kids I work with, and compared to former positions I’ve had (that paid more), I’m generally happier in my career and life right now than I’ve been before.
With that said, I have been offered a part-time job working with my mother (the executive director of a non-profit) as a kind of co-executive director that would eventually become me as executive director. Even at part-time, I will make almost as much (about $5,000 less anually) as I make full-time at my current job. And when I become the executive director (though this is a ways off), I would be in a higher pay grade than I’m in now by a pretty significant amount. The offer is a standing offer, and I would genuinely enjoy the work.
Okay, that’s the background. Now, I’m almost 20 weeks pregnant and here’s where it becomes clear that I need to take the job with my mom. If I switch jobs after our LO is born, my mom will watch the baby when I am working, and of course I’ll have more time with the baby. So, considering daycare costs, I will actually end up with more money working part time than I would working full time. I’ve told my current direct supervisor I intend to leave after baby is born, but haven’t told any supervisors higher up the chain (and she won’t either).
So, first, I would appreciate advice about not feeling guilty about leaving my current job? And second, at what point should I tell my supervisors that I will not be returning? Practically, it doesn’t make a ton of difference. My maternity leave is 3 months unpaid. While I currently have health insurance through my work and wouldn’t through my mother’s, I have a secondary insurance through the military, and as soon as I lose my own coverage, can be added to my DH’s, so I will still be double-covered. So, I want to be able to tell my bosses quickly that they are looking for a permanent replacement rather than just someone for maternity leave, but I also don’t know if it makes some sense to remain “employed” through maternity leave?
You’re a hero if you’ve read through all of this (and I cut part out after I wrote it the first time). Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice 🙂
Post # 3
Congrats! I would do one of two things– I would either give 1 months notice at 35 weeks or not give notice until after your baby is born. I know I hate when co-workers give 3 or 4 months notice– they start being taken off projects immediately and it just prolongs the pain. If someone asks that is one thing, but I would keep your cards to yourself.
Post # 4
I accepted a new position during my maternity leave – closer to home, $15k bump in salary, various perks. I told my former employer about three weeks before I was due back at work and they were very understanding. They had the option to make me pay back the healthcare coverage premiums for when I was on leave, but graciously opted not to.
If you tell them before the baby comes, then you can just give two weeks notice before you’re due to leave as if you would be resigning, then they can get a head start on replacing you and you wouldn’t need to worry about healthcare coverage premiums, etc.
Congrats on your new position and congrats on your pregnancy!
Post # 5
I would let them know about a month out that you are going to go work for your family’s business. I choose to do the same thing a few years ago. I told them that I was going to leave at the end of the calendar year. They let me stay on because I was going to something that wasn’t in competition with them. If they do decide to let you go, then no big deal you can start earlier with your mom. It is nice to have the flexibilty of working for yourself/family. It is harder though for me to determine how long to take for maternity leave since there isn’t that many employees or the funds to hire a temp while I’m out. So that is something for you to consider and discuss with your mom. I do plan to take the baby to work with me for as long as the baby can stay in the play-pen without being to much distraction for me and the other workers. My cousin works from home and was surprised that she really doesn’t get much done. Her mom comes two days a week now to watch the baby and her sister for half a day on Friday. So yes you might save some on day care costs but I think it might depend on your baby and their development. My cousins’ baby is a talker (started around 8 months old) and she’s a loud little girl. So my cousin can’t keep her in the same room when she is trying to make phone calls.
I hope this helps you get some ideas on things to consider. You may have already thought of these things.
Post # 6
Thanks for your advice, ladies.
@vintage2010: Those are really good points. I don’t think I’d ever take the baby to work (it’s too loud), other than to switch off the baby with my mom. Her/our job is INCREDIBLY flexible, so leaving in the middle of the day isn’t a problem, etc. In addition, she’s done the job by herself for 10 years, she doesn’t really NEED me, she’s just been looking to both step back a little bit and expand what we do a little (so going to 1.5 times what she’s doing now, but cutting back her own responsibility in it). Baby is due in early December, so my mom’s plan is for me to work from home for the most part starting as soon as I can (my decision, not hers, but we need it financially), and then go to work for real starting with summer, when the business really picks up. I know it could prove far more difficult than anticipated to get work done from home, but again, it doesn’t NEED to get done, if that makes sense.
Hm…I guess I’m not as concerned about the logisitics as I am feeling guilty about leaving my current job. Which is silly, I know. So I want to do it in the kindest/most helpful way possible. I’m giving some thought to starting maternity leave like normal, and then letting them know before January 1 that I won’t return. This way, they’ve already got someone lined up for at least two more months, but my co-worker/supervisor will be able to tell them whether that person should be hired on full-time if possible or if they should be looking for someone else. Does that sound reasonable?
Post # 7
I get what you’re saying about your job and the hours. As for telling your current employer I wouldn’t wait until after you’re into maternity leave. They are going to hire someone as a temp that they may or may not have hired knowing that you aren’t coming back. In other words it might waste their time. I would just let them know around Thanksgiving that you have decided to work for your family business. It is hard to quit a job. I felt guilty too. But they understood I was doing what was best for me.
I’m due Thanksgiving Day!