(Closed) May 2012 Brides: Have you bought your dress yet?

posted 7 years ago in May 2012
Post # 3
2006 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@maggierose: okay I confess, I am not a May bride (sorry) but i AM an April 2012 bride, so not that far off.  I do already have my dress, but only because my sister was coming into town and wanted to be there for the shopping experience, and we happened to find “the” dress, and it was discontinued so there was just the sample left so we had to go ahead with it.  However, most people I talk to are VERY surprised that I already have a dress.  I think 6 months will be plenty of time.

Post # 4
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I bought my dress a week after I got enagaged in May..so a whole year before. But that’s because I was so excited and didn’t want to wait lol. You still have plenty of time though, don’t worry. Even though I ordered mine in May, the store told me I would be doing my first fitting in December. They said it was because I ordered it so early so there wasn’t a hurry to get the dress in so fast. Even if you wait until October, they will know your wedding date and will have it ready for you with more than enough time.

Post # 5
278 posts
Helper bee

I bought mine in April, but I agree with BrideChristina, don’t feel as though you’re behind if you don’t have it yet. Also, why not start shopping, order your dress in the size you are now, knowing that if all goes according to plan, you can just have it altered down to your new smaller size once it comes in?

Post # 6
217 posts
Helper bee

@maggierose:

I’m in a similar boat! I want to lose 20 pounds (for the wedding and for medical reasons) before ordering a dress but have tried about 40 dresses already to get an idea of what I want. You shouldn’t stress out…. but maybe you should start shopping anyway to see what you like.

On Monday, I will be starting a diet and exercise regime… for the 3rd time this summer… we could start a Weight Loss Thread on the May 2012 board and do weekly check-ins to keep each other motivated!

Post # 8
851 posts
Busy bee

Yes  got mine in May 2011 too 🙂 its the VW351011

Post # 9
1061 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Not a May bride, but I ordered my Maggie in early June for my late December wedding.  The dress is scheduled to arrive in mid-October, which leaves me lots of time for alternations.

Call around to dress shops and find out what the minimum order time is, without a rush fee.  Heck, find out what the rush fee is!

Post # 10
275 posts
Helper bee

Nope, but I’m going shopping this weekend! Wish me luck!

Post # 11
329 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Ok so I completely feel you on wanting to lose weight but unless you’re wanting to lose like 100 lbs I think you would be fine trying to order your dress.  I’m ordering mine next week because mine takes 3 months to get here.  I would still like to lose maybe another 20-25 pounds but I talked to the alterations department and they said that 20 lbs was about a dress size and my dress can go up 2 sizes or down 2 sizes.  So I’m just going on and buying it next week.  I would talk to your alterations department and see what they can do.  Good luck!

Post # 12
404 posts
Helper bee

I definitely still want to lose some weight (5-10 pounds) before my  wedding but ordered my dress at the end of March!  I was nervous it would be discontinued becuase it is a 2009 style.  I ended up ordering the sample size, which fit me PERFECTLY. And by perfectly I mean if I gain an ounce it would have to be let out.  So I am hoping t lose weight, but even if I gained/stayed the same it would still fit me.  Goodluck!

Post # 13
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I ordered mine already. I wouldn’t wait until 6-7 months because some take that to come in, then you need to have it altered and figured out accessories. I’d start looking sooner rather than later. Even if you wait on ordering it till you’re a smaller size if you start looking now you won’t have ao much pressure on you at the end if you don’t find that perfect dress right away.

Post # 14
5 posts
Newbee

I am in a similar boat to most of you – I would like to loose some weight first. I think I can do it. I would like to lose about 40 pounds before the wedding. I had previously lost over a hundred pounds, then went through a divorce and gained back about 45 pounds. So, I have to get this weight off. I am hoping that I can do it since I know I did it before. I would like to lose 20 pounds before trying on dresses that way alterations won’t be too bad.

Post # 15
1446 posts
Bumble bee

I bought mine in June but that’s because I was hoping for a November 2011 wedding. My dress is supposed to take about 4 months, so I think I would go ahead and order one soon. When I was at DB though and I told them I was thinking of a fall wedding, they said I needed to hurry and pick a dress, but it was definitely doable in just 4 months.

Have you thought about getting a dress with a corset back? I am an odd shape and plan to lose even more weight before the wedding, so this option gives you a bit of flexibility.

Post # 16
781 posts
Busy bee

@maggierose: date twin!  I just got my dress a couple days ago and I started shopping beginning of July?  Took me about a month to find “the dress”.  But I was told by my consultant I could really wait until end of Sept to get my dress since it usually comes in 4-6 months and as long as I get it by end of March so I have 2 months for alterations!

I had every intention of losing some weight before I went dress shopping because I was so self-conscious of my body but dude…corsets does wonder lol.  I didn’t look as bad as I thought I would in wedding dresses! In fact, I looked pretty good in some of them even though my BMI is in the “overweight” range. So yea…you never know until you start!

The topic ‘May 2012 Brides: Have you bought your dress yet?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors