Post # 1
Hi, I just got engaged last weekend, and my fiance and I are planning to have our wedding on May 4, 2013! It’s less than a year away, but that’s the best day for both of us and our families – especially since I’m starting grad school, and we didn’t want any classes to interfere with the wedding or the honeymoon.
For all of you May brides, how much planning have you done?
I will be giving out “Will You Be My Bridesmaid/Maid of Honor” cards this weekend. We haven’t booked a ceremony site or reception venue yet since it’s been less than a week since he proposed, but we have started the search! And I’m planning to go to a bridal expo & dress shopping next month! I am so excited to really begin planning everything.
Post # 3
@Amanda789: I got engaged in Feb, so far I have the following done:
Reception venue booked (which includes food, cake, bar, all that)
Save the Dates ordered
Pre-Cana scheduled (for October)
Wedding party selected
Rehearsal Dinner venue selected
I am going dress shopping in 2 weeks when my mom comes to visit, and we’ll also select bridesmaid dresses and tuxes in the next couple of months. I also need to book a limo.
Not sure where you live – but the most important thing you need to do first is book a venue for your ceremony/reception, when I looked in February quite a few were already booked for days in May 2013, but that could just be the area I live in. After you do that everything falls into place. Good luck!
Post # 4
Congratulations! I’m a May 4 bride as well and also chose that date because we’ll both be starting grad school in late August/september and May won’t interfere at all with that and we’ll still have time to go on a honeymoon, write thank you cards, etc. before we start our new schools!
I’ve been engaged for about a month and I have my dress (my mom made it), venue booked, officiant booked, photographer booked & engagement pictures done, have started some DIY projects, and just put the deposit on my honeymoon. And I also made “will you be my bridesmaid” cards (with ring pops): my girls loved them! Still a lot to go though: I’m sure you’ll have plenty of time to get everything done! Once you get started it goes fast; at least it has for me!
Post # 5
Yay may weddings! I’ve been engaged since valentines day and we’re more or less done everything except the honeymoon! Im a bit of a keener…
Post # 6
Hello and Congrats, fellow May 4th-ers! 😀 Here’s what I got so far:
- Set a date, obviously.
- Picked bridesmaids/MOH, asked them, and together we picked a dress.
- Decided on venue, theme and color scheme.
- Booked the photographer.
- Consulted with a designer to create my dress.
- Decided on what kind of food we wanted, and whom to hire for catering
- Decided on alcohol, and hired a friend to homebrew beer for us!
- Bought a few myriad things… nothing to big, but useful things nonetheless!
I feel like I should have more done, but mostly this is brainstorming and figuring out what we can afford. I’m very lucky I have talented friends who can do awesome things for me, for lower rates — the dress, photos, and beer are the big ones we’re getting for much cheaper than we should. I’m super-excited for the ride ahead! <3
Post # 7
- Booked Church
- Booked reception hall
- Booked photographer
- booked videographer
- booked limo (as it will be prom season)
- ordered my dress
- picked BMs
- Last Bridesmaid or Best Man dress will be ordered in less than 2 weeks
- picked out invitations
- picked out and sent Save-The-Date Cards
- picked out flowers (booking them in 2 days with florist)
- picked out Jewelry for wedding
- started thinking of ideas for BM & GM gifts
- picked out favors (have not ordered them)
- Ordered Cake
- Designed, but have not finished making, centerpieces
- Designed, but have not finished making, table numbers
- bought a cakek topper
- bought toasting glasses and a guest book
- have my shoes and veil
wow. it seems like so much but there is still so much left to do. 🙂
Post # 8
I am getting married on the 4th of May next year also 🙂 I got engaged in Feb and I have prett much everything organised I am a little OCD but it really didnt take me too long to get sorted I think it is totally possible for you guys to do it 🙂
Post # 9
YAY for May 4th weddings! Here recently I’ve found so much stuff for our wedding I’m so excited to receive our findings. 🙂
Thus far we have done:
Venue for Ceremony & Reception includes food and cocktail hour food & linesns etc.OfficiantChair CoversTransportationDJFloristPhotographerCoordinatorDress and first fitting I still have two more closer to the dayAll of my accesories wedding party picked outBM dresses picked out- when are y’all telling them to order? Flower girl dress & gorgeous basketDesigned InvitesGuest List finailizedSTD sent out 🙂 Appointment at SalonRegistryHotels booked for guests and us
baskets for programs
engagement photos done and printed 🙂
I feel like there could be more but currently we’re working on the mens attire, guest book and cake. Nearly 200 days away! 🙂
Found my garter set, flower girl basket, personalized tote bags for bm, flower pin for my moh hair, bridal clutch, and personalized hanger for my dress. 🙂
Post # 10
Congrats on the engagement. I just now read your post from a couple of months ago. It is lovely to know that May 4th is such an awesome day to get married!! I feel like I am in great company so yay us. You probably accomplished a lot of things on your list by now, but I wanted to share what I have done so far. I got engaged in April and I am kind of an anxious planner so this is what we have so far:
- we completed our guest list..this was actually the first thing he and I did because it helped determine what size space we needed
- contacted friends/family members to be in the wedding 4 each for a total of 10 members in the bridal party
- ceremony and reception space (reception ballroom is all inclusive so decorations, nakpins, drinks, food, etc included)
- completed food tasting (one of the best parts)
- save the dates (we already sent them out since we have some out of town friends and family)
- wedding invitation is picked out and worded just waiting on engagement picture to complete it
- bridal hair and makeup for bride and bridemaids paid in full (my trials are scheduled for next year)
- wedding cake designed and paid (another fun activity)
- photographer (due to May being a popular month secure this as soon as you can)
- officiant and premarital classes scheduled for February
- wedding dress & accessories (shoes & jewelry)
- bridesmaids dress
- i already got the bridal party gifts
- we just decided where we are going to register and most likely will do so in December or January
- I have the seating chart template and day of timeline planned (it is a rough draft I just wanted to play with some ideas….did I mentioned I am kind of an anxious planner?!?!?)
- hotel room for getting ready the morning of and wedding night
We have a bit more stuff to do, like picking out our wedding bands, paying for the honeymoon even though we already know exactly where we are going & he needs to get a suit. We are also doing a lot of DIY items like flowers, homemade favors, banners, etc that we will be doing in late April early May.
Good luck with your planning. He and I wanted to plan and do as much as we could during the summer since we are both in school.