(Closed) Mega Millions: $476,000,000.00

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 62
835 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

KristenGettingMarried appreciate it…. we just went out and bought two tickets….btw, first time for both of us!! If we win we are cutting you in for some!! We would

1) Lawyer and some kinda of security so that no one kidnaps me for ransom….

2) Morgage of parents and siblings.

3) College fund for nieces and nephews (4 in all)

4) Find the best cancer institute in the country for his dad and buy them an additional house in that state

5) House for us and new cars…finish grad school for him

6) Family vacation for all of us

7) Find a poor school (in Michigan or Chicago…or whoever is in the most need) and donate money to them

8) Invest, invest, invest

Post # 63
11381 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

1. Pay off our little bit of debt.

2. Buy a house & new cars. (Plus buy our families things as well.)

3. Donate to alot of places I already have in mind.

4. Travel, Travel, Travel!

5. Travel some more! (LONG trips, lasting months long.)

Post # 64
904 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Top 5 things with the money:

1. Contribute to younger siblings college funds (they’re 21, 8, and 6)

2. Pay off our parent’s houses/get one of our own

3. New cars for Fiance and I

4. Epic vacation with immediate family

5. Quit jobs or go back to school for DREAM jobs

Post # 65
673 posts
Busy bee

Wow, I’m totally going to buy a ticket for the sheer novelty of it.

The lawyer/accountant stuff is a given. Then, pay off the debts (student loans & house). After that, it gets a little more fun. But, here’s the wedding-related stuff I would so since it’s a little more relevant to the boards:

1. Give every guest a $3,000 credit for first class tickets to Hawaii and back.
  2. Rent vacation homes for everyone to choose from on our dime for a week.
  3. Hire a minibus or two along with tour guides for each to do hosted excursions to key sites for our guests.
  4. See if I could throw enough money at some of the researchers in the area to have some higher level tours/lectures offered since most of our guests are fairly highly educated and would have fun doing something along those lines.
  5. Pay for our parents to travel to and stay for 1 week on each island they want to visit, plus line up tours and activities they would enjoy on each island.
  6. Go ahead and splurge on some decor like flowers, but not too much since I think the islands are beautiful as they are.
  7. Hire enough musicians and dancers to do a luau-type show instead of a standard reception.
  8. Hire a personal trainer to help us get into better shape for lots of hiking.
  9. Since I’d like to get married in Volcanoes National Park, identify an area in need of repair or improvement and make a donation to cover it.

In some regards, there’s so much I wouldn’t change. I wouldn’t put people up at the high end resorts where the big focus is sitting out on the beach. We would keep the guest list pretty much as-is, but obviously more people could come since we’d be footing the bill. Otherwise, the biggest investment would be in more entertainment for our guests.

Post # 66
835 posts
Busy bee

Lol, everyone don’t forget a dude for security/protection…people would be coming out of the wood works for 500 million bucks….plus, professional kidnappers would be plottin’!!!  AGH! 

Post # 67
9816 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@teamajax13:  That aspect of winning would terrify me.

Post # 69
835 posts
Busy bee

Lol, KatyElle me too…I told hubby, “well, they wouldn’t take the dude”….  I told him the part where they “make” you be on the news I would agree to IF we made sure they said very loudly “ANNUITY PAYMENTS” …. and yep, KristenGettingMarried , we heard when we purchased our tickets earlier…wow!! 

Edit: I just read you are allowed to not do the news (in some states)….we totally wouldn’t (if they allowed us not to)…. we would try and keep it a secret… yes, I’m googling!!

Post # 70
673 posts
Busy bee

The amounts are very different, but I know my cousin got attention for winning the $1 million monopoly game for McDonald’s a few years ago. She made most of her social networking stuff private. I don’t know what else she’s done since I wasn’t “friends” with her on there then, and I felt no need to become all buddy-buddy with her after something like that.

In many places, part of the agreement to take the prize is their right to use you for publicity. There are many others out there who have won massive lottery jackpots and haven’t faced any real threats, so I don’t think actual security would be a big deal.

Post # 71
444 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

!) Buy a house for myself in the US and in Australia, as well as buying a house for each of my family members and closest friends.

2) New cars for myself and my fiance, as well as for each of my siblings and parents as well as parents and brothers in law :3

3)Set aside a fund for college for my two nephews as well as three funds for the children me and Fiance want to have, and one for myself to get a masters 😀

4) Have a dream wedding while still being frugal

5) Honeymoon by backpacking around Australia for a year XD

Post # 72
4653 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

So i ended up buying 10 tickets… 10 chances to win right?

Post # 74
4653 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@redheadem:  And I have already been “House Hunting” lol

Post # 75
886 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’d do nothing. Because I will never play. I don’t want the rest of my life to be about managing money and hiding from people. Study after study shows that once you get to be about $75k in income per year, anything above that doesn’t make you happier. I also ran across this article today:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/29/lotterys-biggest-losers-big-wins-dont-equal-better-lives/?google_editors_picks=true

Post # 76
3226 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

We definitely have tickets for tonight!

1. Get an accountant/lawyer

2. Quit job (both of us)

3. Buy a freaking amazing house (not ridiculously huge). And decorate it to my hearts content

4. Pay off our loans (car, student loans, etc.)

5. Book a trip to Japan, and subsequently book other amazing trips

After that we can think of helping others, etc. Hey, we gotta do us first!

The topic ‘Mega Millions: $476,000,000.00’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors