(Closed) Melissa Sweet Lia vs. Marissa 726

posted 10 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’ve tried them on both and the biggest difference to me is the material.  The Melissa Sweet dress is a delicious buttery smooth satin, I was touching the dress the entire time I had it on!  The Marissa dress is made from a much less luxe material (no leg rubbing) and I felt photographed too shiny and made a whoosing noise when I walked.  Good luck!

Post # 4
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2007

if you’ve already got it, and then only thing bothering you is the funny feeling about it being a knockoff, it sounds like more hassle than it’s worth to try to sell your gown if you can’t return for refund.

Post # 5
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I don’t think you should worry about it. Marissa makes beautiful dresses. Plus, I won’t be surprised if the sizing between the two designers is different. 

If it fits you correctly and you like it I would keep the dress you have. Only us crazy brides know that the two dresses are similar. No one at your wedding will be looking at the tag in your dress thinking you bought a knockoff.  Good luck

Post # 6
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I also tried on both. Agree with PrettyKitty that the material on Lia is much smoother. So pretty that it’s got a sheen to it. Marisa’s felt much heavier and it’s got a lot more fabric in the back. The neckline on Marisa is also visibily different than Lia’s

Here is a link to a knottie who did Lia & Marisa comparison.

http://twinkflyy.googlepages.com/home

If Marisa fit nicely on you, I don’t think you need to look to buy the original design.

Post # 7
9 posts
Newbee

I’ve been deciding between both dresses for a while now myself!! I have tried on and love both of them.  There is a good resale market for both dresses right now, so if you’re having doubts, try on the lia and choose which one you like best!

Although keep in mind that Marisa Bridals makes very high quality gowns, so the 726 is not just your average ‘knock-off’.

Here’s a link to the Melissa Sweet Lia/Marisa 726 knot bio.  There are 3 or so girls on here who have the Marisa 726.  The dresses look breathtaking on all of them, so I’m sure you’ll be fine either way.  🙂

http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/page.aspx?username=MelissaSweetLia

Anyone know of the best way to bustle this dress?? I’ve looked everywhere, and haven’t been able to see a clear shot of the dress actually bustled.

Post # 8
62 posts
Worker bee

michelleanne,

i tried it on at a bridal shop who recommended a french bustle, which is how i’ve seen this dress bustled most of the time. i was considering buying this dress from a bride who actually bustled it so that it was a bubble hem – really interesting and different. she wore it that way the whole time, but a good seamstress can probably figure out how to still wear down with the train and  do the bubble hem bustle. i have a picture of it if you want to see… just PM me.

Post # 9
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2008

I tried the Marisa 726 on when I went dress shopping and ABSOLUTELY fell in love with it!!!!! It’s definitely not just some cheap knockoff!  Marisa is a great designer with lots of beautiful dresses.  I got a ton of compliments on my wedding day and my only regret is that I won’t be able to wear my gown again!  🙂

Just because another designer sells a pricier version doesn’t make it a not-so-great dress (frankly, I felt great that I didn’t have to spend as much, and I believe the 726 is just as beautiful as the Lia).  If it really bothers you, you should try on both dresses and see which one you like best.  There are subtle differences in the design, so you’ll probably end up liking one more than the other. 

Post # 11
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2007

huh.  having seen the comparison, I actually like the neck/bust of the Marisa better.

Post # 12
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

Agree that the Marisa neckline is better.  Don’t spend another second thinking of making a switch. They are almost exactly the same and it’s not worth the time, hassle, or possible loss of money to switch just b/c one has a fancier label in it.  I promise you won’t care on the day of (you’ll be so happy) and once the wedding hype has died down you will be amazed that it was ever an important question for you. 

Post # 14
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I just wanted to chime in on what everyone said about the Marisa dresses.  These are not cheap knock offs. I wore a Marisa that is a "knock off" of a Monique Lhuillier dress.  I tried on both the original and the Marisa, and frankly, the things about the Marisa that made it different were better on me.  I would have paid more for the ML if it had been better, but it wasn’t.  The Marisa hung better on my body, and the lace was a better match with my skin tone.  I felt like I was being swallowed by the ML.  Often they are subtle differences, but these are what make a dress "the one", and another just "ehhh."  I hope you love whichever you choose!

The topic ‘Melissa Sweet Lia vs. Marissa 726’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors