(Closed) Metal allergy to ering and wedding band… help! (photos included)

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 47
Member
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m a brass player. I’ve known many friends/ colleagues who developed metal allergies to their own instruments- most often to either the copper or nickel in the alloys. I really don’t know if having a metal allergy can make you more prone to developing others, but the copper content in rose gold could also potentially cause problems.

One of the ways the people I’ve known have coped with their allergies is silver-plating all or some of their instrument. I have no idea if this is at all useful, but it’s a different perspective than those offered above.

Another idea- some bees have mentioned using nylon ring spacers on their rings. If yours can be sized up a bit, it might be a way to get something between your finger and the ring fairly inexpensively/ non-permanently.

Honestly, in your place I would want to do whatever I could to keep my rings. I certainly understand the attatchment you can develop to them! Best of luck, and sorry this happened.

 

Post # 49
Member
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2014

My mom is allergic, I’m allergic.  I’ve always tried to stick to stainless steel as a watch, bracelet, fashion ring option… Just got my e-ring… After just 2 weeks, this is the FIRST time I haven’t had a breakout to a metal before.  The answer is platinum!  You won’t be disappointed.  

Post # 50
Member
2803 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

@yariselyasmine:  On the bright side, your rings will be all shiny and new again! 

Please post some photos when they are done! 🙂

Post # 51
Member
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I just had my e-ring “dipped” in Rhodium and it cost $40.  It’s supposed to last at least a year, I’d say if you have them dipped in palladium or platinum every year with a nickel free coating you should be fine.  The inside doesn’t wear as fast as the outside because it’s not getting banged into things.  When your finger starts to get itchy, you’ll know it’s time for a re-dip.  Any jeweler should be able to dip them for you, it’s a pretty standard procedure.  Plus, the new finish on the ring really brings back the life of the piece.  My e-ring was 12 years old (we’d gotten engaged 12 years ago then broke it off then on-again-off-again for a while, etc.) and WOW did that new finish make a difference even though it had spent most of that time in a drawer.  When we got re-engaged I didn’t want a different ring, so my Dear Fiance had this one polished professionally and everything and it didn’t even come close to looking as nice as it did with the new finish.  Best of luck with whatever you end up with! 🙂

Post # 52
Member
758 posts
Busy bee

I had an allergic reaction to my white gold ring originally. My jeweler just coated the inside of the band with a thin coat of platnium and it’s been fine ever since. And he did it for free also, which was super nice. 

Post # 54
Member
136 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2008

Are you sure you are having a reaction to the metal or are you just getting “wedding ring dermatitis” from water, dirt and debris getting stuck in the openings on the inside of the ring? I’m not allergic to metals but I get terrible “wedding ring dermatitis” from time to time because of all the openings on the inside of my ring where the stones in the band are. I get them cleaned regularly but nothing seems to help. The only way to make it go away is to take off my rings for about a week to 10 days and it goes away on its own. Because it’s become such a problem we are considering exchanging my rings for something with a solid band on the inside. I have a right hand ring that is solid on the inside and I never, ever have had a problem with that ring.

Here are examples of what I mean —

Open on the inside:

Solid on the inside:

Not sure if this will help but it’s worth looking in to!

Post # 55
Member
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I just cleared up wedding ring dermatitis. I don’t know how this compares to a nickel allergy. The doctor told me I had a reaction to a metal in my rings. He gave me a cortisone cream called Betaderm. It worked like magic! I take rings off at night now and when in water, like the shower.

My dermatitis looked and felt like a burn. It was painful. It took me about 3 months to go to the doctor after trying home remedies. Internet sites said I needed a cortizone type ointment and this was true! Good luck!

Post # 56
Member
1455 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

My rings are 19K. The rings from my first wedding were 14K yellow gold and I was terribly allergic to them. Even the 18K yellow jewellry caused a reaction.

This time around I tried 19k – for both the engagement and the wedding band and I haven’t had a reaction at all! The bonus is that my rings (19K) never have to be rhodium dipped and they have maintained a whte shiny appearance, maintanance freel 

19K is the way to go for me!

Post # 57
Member
1455 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

I wonder what you eventually decided. I was just cruising around and found this post again. Your rings are so ornate and beautiful. No wonder it will cost so much to replace with platinum. Hmmm. I’m with the other ladies who suggested that you find a jeweller who will redip it. It is a fairly inexpensive process and might help. It is worth a try. 

I do hope things turned out for you!

The topic ‘Metal allergy to ering and wedding band… help! (photos included)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors