Post # 1
Ok, so I have had an issue with my florist from the very beginning. They are horrible at getting back to me, but now with 5 weeks away I have been getting a little antsy and wanting to lock thing down.
After we paid our florists 50% fee upfront we got an email from them saying they could not cash the cheque because they have issues with the bank because of how they’re such a small company, whatever they said we could pay them another day OR on the wedding day itself so I didn’t feel it to be a big deal.
I then got an email from them confirming all the details of the flowers I wanted. There were a bunch of things wrong so I emailed them back with all the changes….that was over 2 weeks ago.
Now with trying to figure things out, I called them – went straight to voicemail and their mailbox is FULL.
I sent a very stern email requesting that they get back to me within 48 hours, not 2 weeks as that is unnacceptable and my flowers MUST have to be ordered SOON!
I dont know what action to take now after emailing them, all I can do is wait I feel, I am so worried I am being swindled. what should I do?
Post # 3
hmm. sounds strange about the check. My aunt owns a flowershop here in Houston and they have been having a hard time keeping the doors open because of the economy. No one is buying flowers! So she has decided to cut back the hours they are open so she doesn’t have to pay her employees for a full days work. So you might drive by your florist and see if they have something posted on the door.
Post # 4
I just had to go through changing a vendor, so I know how stressful it can be. Have you put down a deposit? Or are you going with the day of plan? And I’m not clear, have you not heard from them at all in the last two weeks?
After 2+ weeks of no responses to several emails and phone calls, what I ended up doing is first calling around to see if there was any other vendor who could even fit me in at the late date (this was only 2.5 weeks out for me). I found one, and then I left another message for my original vendor telling her I really needed her to get back to me and I wasn’t sure what was going on but it’s only 2 weeks to the wedding etc. Well, she didn’t get back to me and so I booked the other one. I left the original a message saying I booked someone else, and she got back to me right away…of course at this point I just had to ask her for my deposit back. When she kind of snarked and didn’t even apologize for her lack of communicaiton, I knew I made the right choice.
What I would say is at least start looking into back up options, but wait until it’s either the deadline for hiring someone else or you just can’t take it anymore. Obviuosly if they emailed you two weeks ago you’re still on their calendar. But you shouldn’t have to have added stress unnecessarily. So if you get to the point where they haven’t contacted you and you need to do something to make sure you will have flowers…do it. They are not treating you professionally, so you are under no obligation to wait around for them. You can’t leave a voicemail, so I think a few firm emails with specific deadlines is plenty of notice for them to get their act in gear.
Post # 5
The thing about that is – My florists work out of their home, and we have always met at starbucks and stuff to chat, I dont know where they live.
You would think they would tell their clients that they have upcoming contracts with, don’t you think? I am freaking out!
and right before not hearing from them for 2 weeks, one of them said they were just so so busy because of how many weddings they’re doing. Regardless of that, if that IS the case again 2 weeks is rediculous to reposnd to a client
Post # 6
@fizics – sorry, I completly left out the part where lat week the Fiance and I saw that the cheque was deposited, so they HAVE taken out their deposit money.
and no I have not heard back from them in 2 weeks then I requested to them after I told them my changes to verify them with me (oh and I send another email 2 days after that one…) and still nothing 2 weeks later.
Post # 7
It seems like their method of operation (slow getting back, etc). However, I’m not sure my nerves would be able to take it.
I don’t get the check cashing bit (unless they were wanting to avoid taxes and wanted you to pay in cash)….
Post # 8
Being busy is NOT an excuse. Vendors should know their limitations and not take on more business than they can handle! I understand not getting a response within a day or so during wedding season, but two weeks? It sounds like they really don’t have their act together.
If I were you I’d look into finding a replacement florist if they don’t get back to you by your deadline.
Post # 9
Yeah as a client, I would be pretty mad by now too.
As a vendor I always get back to my clients within 48h. Usually, within 24h.
All thru my clients know that, I have a "wedding priority period" when the day of the wedding, or the day before I will be harder to reach. So they are better off calling me on those days if they are in need of something all of the sudden.
With today’s ability to communicate there really is no excuse for not responding to your clients.
2 weeks before the weeding is when you have to put in your final orders in so you receive all the flowers you need.
You might want to find a backup florist.
I wish I could help you….
Post # 10
well ladies, I got an email from her promptly this morning – she has been conveniently on vacation the last 2 weeks….yup….still seems like all things are a go? sigh, I hate situations like this
Post # 11
well that’s really nice of her to let you know she was leaving……
Post # 12
TOo bad she didn’t tell you this!
I think your florist and my photographer are in cahoots by the way, dropping off the face of the earth like so! I hope she apologized profusely. I mean, really. Own your own business and don’t tell people you’re leaving for 2 weeks?!
Post # 13
I’m glad it sounds like you got this resolved! I would have been really upset if I hadn’t heard back from her confirming your changes. In her email, did she acknowledge the corrections that you wanted made from her last email?
Post # 14
I’m glad they did get in touch…even if it took two weeks. As I said, I didn’t get a call until I said I’d booked someone else, so this is an improvement. I agree that such situations are frustrating. But hopefully taking a firm stance now will improve their responsiveness during the next 5 weeks.