Post # 1
Months after contacting a realtor, Fiance and I were finally in a place to start looking at homes in person. After doing alot of research online, I found three that I wanted to go look at. We contacted our realtor and told her we were ready to go out and look the following weekend. Our email was unanswered until the next week; she claimed that she was soo busy at work and would take us on a house hunting marathon the following Sunday. So Sunday rolls around, we are only scheduled to view 3 houses – which 3 houses – the 3 houses that I did all the work and research on. Fabulous. Anyways, both Fiance and I loved one of the houses. We thought about it for a week and decided that we wanted to put an offer in on it. This was on Saturday night. Come to find out our realtor is in Las Vegas partying it up. Fine. She says we’ll do it the night she comes back. Tuesday (tonight). Low and behold, she can’t do it tonight. We are leaving the state and want the offer to go in before we leave. Needless to say, I have been less than pleased with her. She didn’t find us “our” house. She is too busy to put in an offer for us. I feel like she doesn’t deserve the commission if we get the house. She’s done nothing. I expressed my concerns to Fiance, but he got mad at me; the realtor came highly recommended and is a friend of a friend. I want to find another realtor. What do you think? Am I overacting? I think that in an industry such as real estate, you need to make yourself available just like any other industry that serves people.
Post # 3
In today’s economy if I had a realtor who was as unhelpful and unavailable as yours, I would get another realtor- period.
Post # 4
Well ast least we lucked out on the realtor. She is a friend of Darling Husband and he has known her and her husband for years. She is giving us a real break on her comission too. We made an offer on a home with 3 acres and it was accepted. But there is a ton of stuff that must be completed before it is a done deal. Even though we were pre-qualified, now we have to offically apply for the mortgage. And there are tests and inspections that must be done. Grrrrrrr! And Darling Husband wonders why I would be content to rent the rest of my life! Such a PITA!
Post # 5
Yeah, I would get another realtor. I didn’t know this but some realtors can be part time so make sure you find someone who does it full time. Do you have any friends that could recommend someone? That would be my advice.
Post # 6
Get another realtor, but beware that some if you buy a house they showed you, they can get the comission is you signed some kind of work with them agreement. All realtors don’t have this agreement, but some do.
Post # 7
I would definitely find another realtor and even go a step further. Contact a new realtor and state you already know the house you want so could they knock a % off their fee since they won’t have to show you around.
The only thing I’m not sure about is whether that is ethical for the new realtor in the realtor world so I would be up front about it.
Did the current realtor do anything though? Answer your emails while you were researching? We are in the process of looking for a home right now and we have a realtor that we want to eventually work with but since we are at least 5 months from a down payment we are only looking at open houses so we don’t waster her time but we have emailed her a few times. When it comes time to buy, likely we will already have found the house we want but she spent all this time emailing and answering questions so I feel she will deserve her full commision.
Post # 8
There was a big realtor conference or something in Vegas this past week so I’d imagine she was there, but there should be someone back at their office on desk duty. Usually they can get things going for clients while other agents are away.
Otherwise, like PP have said, I would be looking for another agent too. Whether she’s busy or not, in this day and age its pretty easy to send off a quick e-mail and keep the lines of communication open. If she can’t do that, that’d be a big red flag for me.
Post # 9
I would use someone else! Friend of a friend or not. When our realtor was out of town she had someone else in the office to show us houses and he even helped put in an offer while she was away.
Post # 10
I would absolutely find another realtor. It’s unacceptable that she is unwilling to help you move forward by putting in an offer now that you have found the house you want. She could lose this house for you or ended up costing you a lot of money by allowing a competing offer to come in to play because you have now had to wait so long since you made your decision. Also just FYI most of the time the seller pays the commission to both realtors so that likely won’t be something you negotiate.
Post # 11
Trust me, you deserve someone who will work hard for you every step of the way. As long as she didn’t make you sign a contract you should totally move on. You don’t even have to tell her why, just say you’re not interested anymore.
Post # 12
Sounds like you need a new realtor for sure. He/She should be making the process less stressful, not more.
Post # 13
I woud use someone else! Being unavaliable when you want to look at houses and especially when you want to put in an offer is unacceptable. As for doing all the research, I do all my own research but that’s just how Darling Husband and I are. We see the relator’s job as setting up appointments, offering us advice, pointing out things she seems in the house that might be troublesome, pulling comps, etc. Now that our relator knows more of what we want she’ll sometimes send ones she sees that we might be interested in that we’ve missed. However, we’ve done a majority of researching the houses we want to see.
Post # 14
Ditch the Realtor, I was in your same suitation before too. We went with a Realtor that my FMIL’s friend recommended for us. He was horrible for us, slow to communicate (took a while just to get an e-mail back!) didn’t do any extra searching himself, hardly did any negotiating when it came down to it.. Basically was a lazy realtor.. He didn’t know the area or neighbourhoods that well, and didn’t educate us on buying when it was our first time.. We stuck with him even though we were unhappy.. At least we found a place we loved, and it was a place I found! He didn’t do anything and got half the commission which he didn’t deserve.
So when we bought our house, I made sure to interview a bunch of realtors and asked them tons of questions. How quickly they responded, their personality, and level of expertise was critical to me. I found one that was great and was easy to schedule appointments, go above and beyond in her job to find us the perfect home.
You need to be able to trust your realtor so don’t stick with them because you feel obligated to. Especially if you want to make an offer and they aren’t available, then they don’t get your money!! That is very unprofessional.
Post # 15
I just read that it’s a friend of a friend. That makes it a bit more complicated, because I’m sure your Fiance doesn’t want to upset anyone or make anything akaward. But the fact remains that she doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to take you out house hunting or help you put in an offer. That’s so odd, especially about the offer part, because hello lady, that’s when you get paid! Our relator has always made time to show us houses and I know when we’re ready to put an offer in on one, she’ll make it quick. Especially because you don’t want someone else to put an offer on the house first! I would just politely let her know that you don’t feel like your personalities mesh (or something like that) and say you’re going with someone else. And I would reccomend not going with a friend of a friend. I know when Darling Husband and I began our house hunt, my MIL’s neighbor offered but we declined because we didn’t want things to get weird or anything. We ended up getting a reccomendation from one of the ladies who works at our apartment compex (odd I know). The bank you work with can also give you a reccomendation.
Post # 16
The realtor (she is full-time) was recommended, but we didn’t find out she was a friend of a friend until last Thursday. I think it can have disadvantages and advantages; the advantage being that she’ll be more likely to not screw us over because we’re a friend of a friend and the disadvantage being that there could be hard feelings if we decide to part ways.
I guess Fiance emailed her yesterday and said that we NEED to put an offer today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday). I didn’t see the email, but I’m hoping that he laid down the law.
She agreed to meet up with us today, as it is more convenient for her. What a total inconvenience to me though; I have a full 8 hour work day, an appointment with a photographer, a meeting with the realtor, and have to get ready for vacation tomorrow.
So, I guess we will see how things go today. She lives in the same neighborhood as the house we want and supposedly has great bargaining skills, so we’ll go with her this time. If things don’t go well, I already have 2 recommendations for new realtors.
PS: Thanks for letting me vent 🙂