Post # 1
Has anyone ever come across a modern cover of Build Me Up Buttercup? That is our go-to song to sing together. We have been having the hardest time coming up with a first dance song and since Buttercup has a sentimental meaning to us I would love to use it. Problem is, the current arrangement just wont work. We’re not big dancers so to use this for our first dance would be a bit much. We pretty much just want to sway, lol. Any suggestions? I know there are a few on youtube but I’m looking for something that our DJ would actually be able to get. Thanks!
Post # 3
clem curtis has a slow version on his myspace music page but i’m not sure if it was on any of his albums…. i kinda dont like the slow version, but thats just my opinion…
Post # 4
there are many covers of this song:
- The version by Torch was released in 1983, and was a big club hit in the Philippines.
- Andy Paul, a Cypriot Eurovision artist, covered this song in 1985. The Valentines also performed the song on Australian television with Bon Scott on backing vocals.
- Other cover versions include: The Four Tops in 1972, David Johansen New York Dolls as a 1982 live recording, The Partyboys in 2003, and McFly and Busted in 2005.
In 2006, a rap remake was released by Rhymefest with Ol’ Dirty Bastard on the chorus for Rhymefest’s critically acclaimed album, Blue Collar (2007).
- The Boston College Marching Band performs “Buttercup” at Boston College Eagles football games with the student section, the Superfans, singing along. The students of University of Wisconsin sing this song at every other home football game. The Thames Valley University (Reading campus) rugby team also sing it at every game. Shamrock Rovers F.C. adopted it in the early 70’s.
- The Goops covered the song for the Kevin Smith movie Mallrats
- This song is also in the game Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol.
- In October 2008, Eddie Money released a cover of the song on his album Wanna Go Back.
- Jason Mraz performed a cover of the song during his concert tour in late 2008, with heavy audience participation. (Various fan videos of these performances are available on YouTube.)
- Rapper B.o.B recently sampled the chorus for his song “Don’t Break My Heart”.
- The Washington Nationals play the song after an opposing pitcher is relieved after Sweet Caroline. The song can also be played during extra innings to fill up time.
- Clem Curtis has an alternative version, “Buttercup Slow version” that can he heard at his My space site
- American Singer Katy Perry covered the song on her june 2009 Europe Tour
- Mike d’Abo regularly performs a live version with The Manfreds
- The long island band Stereo Skyline is performing a cover of this song during their Let’s Make a Mess Tour
- Julia Nunes also performed a cover version of the song on her ukelele in one of her videos on YouTube.
- The rock band You, Me, and Everyone We Know performed a version of the song for the 2010 compilation “Rockin Romance II.”
- Argentine musician Charly García covered the song live and the recording was released in his album “Estaba en llamas cuando me acosté” in 1995