- 3 years ago
Hi bees, first time poster here! So my FH and I have been shopping online together for e-rings and I am so torn! I’m looking at 2 potential options:
1) Elegant and classic: 1 ct F1 round cut Tiffany style moissanite solitaire with a thin white gold band. I didn’t include a photo as the website didn’t have an exact one, but I think ring enthusiasts will be able to visualize this look easily enough. Would be from Vancouver Moissanite.
2) Glam and unique: A larger cushion cut moissanite set in rose gold with pave diamonds and possibly a halo – would suggest both options to FH for him to choose (I’ve attached photos below). Would be from Etsy – there are several shops that have beautiful rings with great reviews.
I swear this ring choice is making me feel existential angst. Am I the girl with the larger, slightly flashy ring that’s unique and non-traditional? Or am I the girl with the classic 1 ct white stone white gold ring that’s as beautiful as it timeless? I change my mind one minute to the next. I feel like there’s a right and a wrong answer, and I can’t figure it out!
A few considerations:
– Moissanite is a 9.25 on the mohs scale. Morganite is an 8. That means moissanite is harder and more durable, and morganite has a higher risk of chipping, getting scratched or losing its lustre over time.
– Pave settings and halos can lose the tiny diamonds sometimes, which would need replacing.
– Despite my best efforts to take care of my things, sometimes I’m hard on them. For example, my iphone screen has had a giant crack in it for 3 weeks and I have yet to get it fixed.
– My fear of being “too boring” or “too traditional” is exactly equal to my fear of my ring looking “too out there” or “too fancy”.
– I can’t compromise and get a moissanite ring with a pave setting because it increases the cost by more than I’m willing to let my FH pay. The pave and halo setting on the morganite are possible because of the money I would be saving on the stone. Besides, I legitimately adore the look of a white stone solitaire.
I realize that this is great problem to have — an awesome and sexy man who wants to buy me a beautiful ring and I can’t decide which one to get! I feel sort of silly/guilty giving it this much thought to be honest. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice that might sway me in one direction or the other?