Post # 1
- Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch
Has anyone ever moved into an apartment with mold??? We just moved a few weeks ago and had a bunch of leaky faucets. After more than a week, the landlord finally sent someone to tighten all the pipes(?), but now everything smells like bleu cheese and Mr. S and I both feel sick all the time! We can’t clean it ourselves because it’s in the walls or the plumbing or something, but the property managers clearly don’t mind taking their time to fix things. There is a bunch of other broken stuff, and now I’m mad we spent so much to move because I want to break the lease already. :-/ This was supposed to be a nice building!
Blech. Anyone else with a ridiculous move-in experience?
Post # 3
Yup! We had live mold in our apartment all summer because of how insanely humid it was here in NYC. It smelled really foul and we both had bad allergic reactions to it. I tried calling my management company and they just ignored me so I reported them to the department of housing preservation and they FINALLY came by and fixed it. I don’t really know how they did it, but they did. We also used a dehumidifier before they finally came by which helped a lot. It literally stopped the mold from expanding.
Post # 4
Yes – Last winter I was so run down and tired all the time, and one day, I was cleaning the apartment and it was nice out, so I raised the blinds to open the windows, and there was mold all along the windows, in the bedroom and living room.
I called maintenance, who told me to clean it with bleach until they could re-seal the windows. I did, and they came later that night and I haven’t had any problems since.
Post # 5
Bleach. We had some that was under the floor in our kitchen and we had to pull it up. The dehumidifier also helped but didn’t fix the problem. We got an air purifier and that has helped a lot.
Post # 6
Seeing as how you can’t see it and you’re in a rental I would wait to your management company comes to fix it. But honestly like a previous poster did I would report them so they take you seriously. Breathing in mold is nothing to mess around with it.
There are a couple differing opinions on mold. One is that bleach kills it. The other is that vinegar does.
Those who think vinegar does claim that bleach only whitens the black part you see but not the actual mold spores. While vinegar will disintegrate the mold spores.
Our house is really dry so last year we got a humidifier for our house mainly because the dry air really makes our pup itchy. Well, the duma$$ I am forgot to clean it out and it sat dormant over the summer. Needless to say mold grew on the washable filter fabric. I can’t buy a new filter fabric so I cleaned it and soaked it in bleach water for hours, twice. Then soaked it in vinegar water for hours then washed it. Hey, better safe than sorry is what I always say.
Post # 7
That’s a serious health hazard! Ask management to deal with it a.s.a.p. and go over their heads if they don’t take action promptly.
Post # 8
Yes, I had something like this happen in college. The first two times they “fixed” it, all they did was paint over the mold in the walls–it obviously kept coming back. Since they were morons and wouldn’t fix it, I contacted someone who worked for the city (can’t remember what their title was) and they recommended I write a letter to the apartment complex saying that they would take care of the mold within 72 hours–for good. if they didn’t, I would report them to the city. I had (demanded) the manager of the building sign my letter. It worked and they finally fixed the problem.
Post # 9
an old office of mine had mold growing in it and it took two months of me and one of my co-workers being sick constantly for us to convince building maintenance to look into it. it was growing above the drop ceiling. it’s definitey fixable but make sure it really gets taken care of. i agree with PPs that if your management company isn’t being responsive, go over their heads, to whatever appropriate agency your city has.
Post # 10
- Wedding: June 2010 - New York Botanical Garden
that’s horrifying spaniel! we had mold in our house in syracuse but we knew we were leaving soon so we just kind of ignored it
Post # 11
- Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch
I’m still not sure what the right agency to report them to was, but I decided to go all lawyer on them and write a pretty forceful demand letter. 😉 I didn’t use my firm letterhead, but I did use a firm fax cover sheet . “Attorneys at Law” and “repairs need to be completed immediately” tends to scare people into action.
I don’t know if the problem is over and done with yet, but at least they finally called us back to schedule a maintenance appointment. Seriously, you guys have no idea how many things were wrong with this apartment when we moved in and how long it’s taking to get it done. :-/ I just found out that our garbage disposal has been leaking for at least 2 weeks! We’re going to have MORE mold!
Post # 12
A friend of my mom bought a house back when I was in highschool. It was actually a house my dad almost bought. They had an inspection, but not a mold inspection. Their first son was born soon after and developed autism and respiratory problems. The second son had respiratory problems as well. The mother developed a seizure disorder and lost her ability to drive, thus resulting in her losing her job. (small town, worked 45 mins away). There were so many unexplained medical issues in all four family members for years. Literally thousands in doctors visits and medical bills. They went to redo a room, and discovered that the house was FILLED with mold and they had been living there for about 7-8 years at this point.
They moved out, the mother’s health improved drastically and she was able to drive and work again. Her older son with autism made years worth of improvements in just a few months. The kids were able to run and play without constant asthma attacks.
Mold is a serious issue, and you should demand that they take you seriously. Writer letters, call the local housing authority who should be able to tell you where to make reports on you landlord if they don’t respond. You should not have to live in a place that has mold. If repairs take longer than a few days, you landlord should pay for you to stay somewhere else.