(Closed) Mom kills intruder after 911 says “do what you have to do” – news story

posted 6 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

yes, I saw this and was glad she was able to do it. She had to protect herselfand her child.

Post # 4
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I saw that and It was really thought provoking. I was curious that if people were home alone with their baby, would they shoot an intruder? I know everyone is usually anti gun and violence, but I had to say that I would do the same!

Post # 5
1474 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

🙁 That must be so traumatizing.

Post # 6
1474 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Eva Peron: DH is teaching me how to use his gun. I’m afraid to touch the gun, so hopefully I’ll never have to aim it at anyone to protect myself. <3 I can’t even imagine…

Post # 7
6892 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2012

@Eva Peron: Ditto. I feel the same way. With all the trouble we are having/will have had to conceive, NO ONE messes with the safety of my baby. ESPECIALLY if something happened to Fiance.

Post # 8
7293 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@thehoneybear: haha yea! We are curerntly working on conceal and carry permits, its pretty daunting, but in some weird way , I feel comfort and a touch of confidence

@AmeliaBedelia:  Hell to the yes! We are on the same page!

Post # 9
4014 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I agree that I would do the same to protect my family! As a 9-1-1 dispatcher, I do know that we are instructed NOT to give our opinions or advise in situations like this because we can be held liable. I think the dispatcher saying “Do what you have to do” was doing the right thing.

Post # 10
1526 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

@Eva Peron: Totally agree.While it is something she will have to live with/cope with for the rest of her life, she really did do what needed to be done. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to protect my child like that. Don’t break into someone’s house and you won’t get shot…

Post # 11
2589 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Hey, women have done extraordinary things to protect their kids – its in our nature.

Obviously, I wish the intruder hadn’t died – and had lived to be arrested and tried for his crime – but I certainly don’t think she acted inappropriately.

Post # 12
14486 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Wow, I had not heard about this, and I totally agree with what she did.  I would hate to take someones life, but between them and me or any loved ones, I’m sure the reaction would be automatic.  I’m surprised that the accomplice was charged with first degree murder though, maybe second degree for the murder since I think planning the robbery and premediated murder is totally different.

Post # 13
3261 posts
Sugar bee

She did exactly what she should have done. I applaud her. 

Post # 14
1235 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Absolutely! I have no remorse for that asshole.

Post # 15
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’d heard about this but hadn’t read it yet. Sad situation but I think the dispatcher and the young mom did what they had to. I feel for that poor girl.

@pinkshoes:It’s the felony murder rule. Some places use it. Like if you and a friend rob a bank and your getaway driver runs someone over and kills them, you’re all charged because it was in furtherance of your crime. OK appears to use the theory that allows participants to be charged even if the death was caused by police or a bystander, as long as it meets certain qualifications.

Post # 16
3378 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Agreed that it’s such a sad situation and likely very traumatic for this young women, but I would have done the same thing.  If someone were threatening my life, let alone my children, in my own home, they’re making a fatal mistake.  We have guns that my husband has trained me to use, and I would not hesitate to use them to protect my family.

The topic ‘Mom kills intruder after 911 says “do what you have to do” – news story’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors