(Closed) Mom kills intruder after 911 says “do what you have to do” – news story

posted 8 years ago in Legal
Post # 32
6512 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

My goodness, I feel so bad for her!  That last little bit where she was crying and hoping for something better in the new year brought tears to my eyes.  I can’t even imagine!  I’ll be praying for her. 

Post # 33
9816 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

If someone breaks into my home while I’m alone with my child, I will do what I have to do and not think twice about it.

Post # 34
882 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

That mama is amazing! Right on! Bless her heart though!

Post # 35
1340 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@Sasha2011:  They were trying to steal the meds because OK, like many part of America have a raging prescription drug problem and the husband was on a lot of heavy duty painkillers. Until I moved back east, I was living in Norman, OK and it was not uncommon for people to openly share/sell their meds to make money, as sad as that is. The whole story is very sad and I feel horrible for the 911 dispatcher. Fiance who grew up in OK has already said that the dispatcher will most likely be acquitted or be able to plea out with probation (we’re hoping for the former).

Post # 35
5147 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

“I am glad that she isn’t getting charged or anything!”

I beleive Oklahoma has a castle doctrine, meaning it’s legally acceptable to use lethal force to protect yourself, your family, and your property.

I personally will not live in a state that doesn’t have a castle doctrine. I feel strongly about my right to protect myself. I hope and pray I’m never in that type of situation, but God-forbid if I ever am, I will do what I need to do.

And as they say, even if the legality is questionable in certain situations: Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Post # 36
2559 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I say good for her. I have two guns in my home and know how to use them both – God willing, I will never have to use one to defend myself or my family, but I will absolutely be prepared in case I have to wait on the police for 20 minutes (seriously?). That girl’s story is so heartwrenching between her husband’s death and this home invasion trauma that I hope she has some seriously good things coming her way (and very good support!).

ETA: I don’t even need to be protecting a baby. I’d do it for my husband or just for myself. That man coming in the door with a knife in his hand obviously was up to no good for anyone in that house.

Post # 37
5656 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

I would do it. I wouldn’t feel great about it, but I definitely wouldn’t give an intruder a chance to get anywhere close to my baby. Especially under the circumstances where the police were not there yet after 21 minutes, I would definitely take matters in to my own hands.

Post # 38
4335 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Don’t get between a woman and her child!

(And yeah, poor woman! Right after her husband dying! I can’t imagine it…)

Post # 39
1443 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I cannot even imagine going through everything this young woman has been through already in her short life.  I feel she was 100% justified in pulling the trigger.  I did not get to see the video, so I don’t know if they said anything about this or not…but does this mean that the intruders KNEW the vicitm?  They knew her deceased husband was on medication that they wanted to get their grubby hands on. Another article says the scumbag showed up at her house the day of his FUNERAL to say that he was a neighbor…so they knew that they were victimizing a poor young woman who had already been through hell.  I can’t believe the evil that exists in this world sometimes.  🙁

Post # 40
5147 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

For anyone interested in self-defense with firearms, here’s a great website! http://corneredcat.com/

“Some folks say the most dangerous place in the world is between a Mama Bear and her cubs. It may be so. I’ve never met a Mama Bear, myself.

The most dangerous place I ever stood was between a cornered cat and an open door.

When a cat feels threatened, she gets away from the danger as quickly as she can. She doesn’t care what damage she inflicts on her way to safety, but she’s not interested in fighting for fighting’s sake. She does only as much as she needs to do in order to escape. She doesn’t deal in revenge. If she feels threatened, she simply leaves. Efficiently.

Until she needs to use them, her claws stay sheathed. She doesn’t go around threatening to maul people. She’s cuddly, she’s cozy, she likes to curl up next to a crackling fire on a cold winter’s day. She’s great company.

But don’t try to trap her in a bad situation.

This site is about women and guns, not about cats. But in a way, it’s about the cornered cat in all of us. It’s about the determination to get away from an attacker if you need to. It’s about making the decision to say, “Not me. Not mine. Not today.” And it’s about the tools to make that decision stick.

If you have to fight…

Fight like a cornered cat.”

Post # 41
2559 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@mrs_pugetsound: I wondered about that too (whether they knew her personally or not), cause they obviously knew it was just her and her baby, and that there were probably drugs in the home. Doesn’t seem like a random act of thievery to me.

Post # 42
2492 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I believe that the charges were dropped/limited/something leanient because she believed that when the dispatcher told her to do what she had to do she claims that she felt that was giving her permission to shoot the men. The 9-1-1 call was on the news last night and WOW was she ever calm! I think I would be screaming in terror rather than calmly asking if I could shoot these men if they got through the door. I have to give her credit for protecting her family, regardless of the fact I am HUGELY anti-gun and anti-violence.

Post # 43
7371 posts
Busy Beekeeper

My FH and I talk about this all the time. If someone has the nerve to violate our home, they are not leaving alive. Point blank period. You have no idea if they are simply a robber, rapist or killer and we aren’t going to wait to find out. So she did the right thing. I feel bad for her. the robbers got what they had coming.

Post # 44
5072 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

Good for her!

We have guns – I’m very proficient with them.  Fiance has a CCW/CPL.   

Post # 45
5118 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I believe I watched a different clip where an OK lawyer was discussing her situation. She had to wait until he was actually IN her home, because then he’d actually broken the barrier of her home and it was self defense. Sort of like you can’t shoot a person on your lawn since you’re technically still safe in your home. So she had to wait for 20 minutes, door blocked with her sofa, for the police to come or the intruder to get in. How terrifying!

The topic ‘Mom kills intruder after 911 says “do what you have to do” – news story’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors