3 %
    42-43% : (0 votes)
    44-45% : (4 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 47
    81 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Fiance bought the house 3 years ago when banks desperate to find buyers formany of the forclosures… he paid hardly anything down so even though the mortgage itself is not too bad, the FHA and mortgage insurance nearly double the monthly payment pushing it up close to 70%. money is tight, but once we get married we’ll either refinance and put some of my savings down to get it out of the FHA or we might be moving for a possible promotion. 

Post # 48
    424 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I voted 38% but that’s just my income, not FI’s (who is also on the mortgage), because we just wanted to consider my income when budgeting.  I also give a hefty amount to 401(k) and I’m on a 20 year mortgage.  If I would have done a 30 year and not contribute to 401(k), it’d be 25%.

Post # 49
    6114 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

Our mortgage is 23.8% of our take home salaries.  It’s about 11% of our gross salaries, but we contribute lots to our pre- and post-tax retirement accounts, so our net drops after retirements contributions.

Post # 50
    363 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

About 23% of net. When taxes are re-assessed it’ll go up to an absolute max of 29%. Things are ok.

Post # 51
    1396 posts
    Bumble bee

Ours is about 15% of our net income. Factor in our association dues though, and it’s 23%. Still affordable but those association dues do rankle.

Post # 52
    8435 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2013

Ours is about 30% (mortgage, tax, and homeowner’s ins) of my FI’s income (I don’t work), however we don’t have much debt (no student loans, no car loans, etc).  Plus, he works less than 8 miles from our home, so transportation costs are at a minimum.  I guess it just comes down to where/how couples end up spending their money.

Post # 53
    1091 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

We overpay by about $150 a month, and our total payment including taxes and insurance is about 21-22% of our net income.  That’s comfortable for us, we honestly could probably comfortably pay another $400 ish a month, although we would obviously prefer not to.  Our next house we’ll have to because we’re looking to move to a more expensive area with higher taxes and higher home values (and better school systems).

The topic ‘Mortgages and Net Salary’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors