Post # 1
Ladies, why don’t we rant about some things that annoy us about getting married? They can be small or big and they can be about anything from the engagement to the actual wedding! I will start and luckily, mine are all small and unimportant:
- My engagement ring being called “cute” by my step-mother
- Mothers (on my side and on my fiancé’s side) thinking that they are in charge of everything and trying to take over
- Plus one situations
- Random people self-inviting to your wedding
- location trying to shove “gazpacho” down our throats even though I keep saying no!
PS: I’m putting a poll ONLY because I know that always draws more people 🙂
Post # 4
I put vendor problems.
That’s been the majority of my problems.
The venue I LOVED was charging WAY too much to cater [it was a bed & breakfast]. It was going to be $4000 for a [in my opinion] crappy meal. [hamburgers?! I don’t want hamburgers!].
The new venue I found [which i love also, it’s very rustic], didn’t have our dates available [planning almost 2 years in advance.. !!!], so we had to change our date. We also can’t bring out own alocohol [we can bring beer & wine], so we have to take an alcohol caterer. But that’s okay, even with the alocohol caterer and regular catering, it’s stll WAY less than the $4,000 the other venue wanted. Plus no tent rental [which was another 3,000], and we saved alot on the venue fee alone [about $1700 total].
Post # 5
- Wedding: December 2017 - Baltimore. MD.
Time annoys me. When you want it to slow down it seems to speed up and when you want it to speed up it slows down! So annoying!
Post # 6
Mainly cost. Everything is so dang expensive and I have very expensive taste. I like to think I have a pretty good budget but I would love to deck out my wedding in flowers, crystals, draping fabric, chivari chairs, etc. Unfortunately I can’t spend $50,000-$100,000 on my wedding. Oh! And I would love to be able to spend a few weeks to a month traveling Europe for our honeymoon but that’s not possible 🙁
Then there is my mother and my Future Mother-In-Law. Lord, have mercy on my soul. My mom is being crazy about what the mothers (2 biological mothers/2 step-moms) are supposed to wear. His mother is complaining that my mother is trying to “tell her what to wear”. I’m like, “holy shit women! Wear some frickin dresses that are somewhat in the same color scheme and STFU”. Oh, and his mother showed everyone on his side a picture of my wedding dress. Here I was trying to include her and she ruins it. I know that my Fiance will still be surprised and that’s all that matters, but damn I didn’t want everyone to see it before the actual day.
Post # 7
Wishy washy guests that can’t give a definite yes or no. Oh and the seating which I’m currently struggling with.
Post # 8
I think the planning is the worst, mostly because of the cost. We wanted to do something for like $6000 and we are over double that already.
I also like to plan things and get them done, this is so long and drawn out. Everything takes so much time to decide on. I want the planning to be OVER!
Post # 9
I have a fair few lol.
1. Being told children ‘make’ a wedding. No, they don’t, especially if like us you don’t like them.
2. OH’s mum trying to get us to invite people we don’t even know (like OH’s great uncle who he last saw 12 years ago, and who never even sends him a Christmas card). To make this worse, MY parents are paying. Why would they spend $200 plus on someone my OH doesn’t even know?! I’d never even heard of him!
3. Being told by the registry office before we booked our venue (and paid a $4k plus deposit) that though we couldn’t book our registrar until excatly one year in advance, but that, and I quote, there are ‘loads available’ and that we would have ‘no issue getting the date and time we want’. I found out this week that actually, there are TWO registrars available, covering a dozen venues, and that there are 3 set time slots. We are getting married on a Saturday, in August. It is the most popular day of the week, and the most popular month for UK weddings. Only ONE of their times is suitable. So, if two couples happen to get in before us on the day, we lose our date. I am so angry about this it’s unreal; but apparently, this system is ‘fair’ somehow.. (?!)
Post # 10
@IzzyBear: OMG. Literally the reason I started this thread is because my mothers (step and real) are going CRAZY trying to coordinate dresses with my fiancé’s mother and she isn’t into it. I have no idea what she will wear, she has no idea what she will wear, she hasn’t even STARTED thinking about it yet and I’m just getting so annoyed. BACK OFF. NO ONE cares if you all COORDINATE!!!!!!
Post # 11
Details/Cost for sure. I thought I had everything in my line item budget but there’s just been little expenses cropping up left and right the closer it gets. Just for a week I would like no surprises like there’s an extra fee for a second makeup artist (which would have been nice to know when I sent the contract), forgetting to budget for a guestbook, etc. None of these things have been over $100 but it’s still driving me crazy. It’ll be a small miracle if I make my current target budget at the rate this is going. I really underestimated how much random stuff a wedding takes.
Post # 12
@jenilynevette: Annoying! That’s actually kind of happening with us. Why the heck should I pay $100 pp when this meal is CRAPPPPPPY!!!??? I wouldn’t pay $30 at a restaurant for this! UGGGGH!
Post # 13
My own indecision! It took FOREVER for me to decide on accessories and a hairstyle, it’s a little under two weeks until the day and now I’m rethinking almost ALL of it. I’m a commitment-phobe when it comes to everything in my wedding but my fiance!
Post # 14
@FutureMRS3lastnames: Yeah.. my venue offered 3 sides [options were crappy like coleslaw, corn.. vegetable medley], and choice of a couple entrees [hamburgers, bratwurst, or ham].
I was like… seriously!? I’m not spending 22,000 on my wedding to serve my guests BRATWURST! They then tried to “work with me” to create a menu. So I went along, we created a menu of 1 soup, 1 salad, lasagna, buns, & chicken marinara. They wanted $70 a plate.
I ran away from that place.
I have since decided to do my own buffet.
Here’s my current menu, we might tweak it just a tad. Everything will be from fazoli’s except for the soups :
Cherry Apple Almond Salad
Classic Cesar Salad
Cheddar Broccoli $200
Stuffed Pizza Sticks – Pepperoni
Stuffed PIzza Sticks – Cheese
Toasted Ravioli in Marinara
Twice Baked Lasagna
Penne with Creamy Basil Chicken
When I priced everything out for everyone to have 2 serving of EVERYTHING [which is obviously, unlikely, nobody will eat 3 entrees and 2 salads + everything else!], it came to $1200. The real total will probably be around $800 once we take off all that extra food we don’t need.
Yay for savings!
Post # 15
Hmm, let’s see.
1. Cost! I don’t even want to look at the spreadsheet anymore. I started off noting down every pot of glue bought for the wedding, now I just count it as ‘household expense’. I started off a proud iron-fist-budget bride, now I’m willing to pay whatever it takes to make people do their job and then go away.
2. Guests. I’ve put all the information you could possibly ever need on the website, why do you ask me so many questions??
3. Bridesmaids. I love them dearly but how difficult is it to just show up in a purple dress (really, any purple kneelength dress!) and not blue/gold/whatever other colour you found in the sales! And also, I know that I gave you guys free reign over shoes but I did ask you to coordinate amongst yourselves. So yes, that means you should all wear the same(ish) colour. That does not mean you should just put your foot down anyway and raise a stink and it certainly does not mean wearing bronze wedges with wooden accents to my formal wedding. Get over it and wear a pair of heels (or smart flats). Wedges are for beach and lawn weddings where they have an actual function. I thought this would be obvious when I mentioned the word ‘chapel’.
Post # 16
@FutureMRS3lastnames: I know exactly how you feel! It was this whole big drama with the mothers. My mom wants to coordinate so they don’t end up looking like the rainbow and she’s afraid she’ll wear a long dress and look too dressy if they wear short ones. I’m like, “well then, you’ll look amazing since it’s a formal wedding and they’ll look silly.” My Future Mother-In-Law went behind my mom’s back and called FI’s step-mom to talk about how my mom was “telling them what to wear” and she “has no right to”…blah, blah, blah. My step-mom couldn’t care less about any of it lol. Good lord, that was a shit show. Wear what you want, you crazy women, it’s all about me bitches (and Fiance of course!) Hahaha, craziness.