(Closed) Moving sometime in 2016 – tell potential employer?

posted 4 years ago in Career
Post # 2
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

Don’t tell them anything until you have something else locked down and ready to go. 

Post # 4
2003 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

personally i wouldnt tell them, if you really want this job why would you tell them your leaving after only a few months… it costs them time and money to train you, so by telling them they will more then likely pass you up for someone else. 

Post # 5
3223 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

jkat84:  I just went through a move witn the government. It’s stressful AF to try and give your job notice before all the contracts are worked out, and I would honestly say not worth it. When you have the official offer/move date in your hand, then you can give notice.

Post # 6
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

jkat84:  No!  They may rescind the offer.  Don’t tell them anything until you need to give your 2 week notice, and if you like them you can give 1 months notice.  

Post # 7
8861 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

jkat84:  No. You have no idea what the future might bring or what might change between now and then. Two weeks notice is customary and perfectly acceptable. If you HAVE more notice than that and feel comfortable giving it, that’s more than generous of you. If something happens at the new company and THEY have to leave town suddenly, they aren’t going to lose sleep over giving you notice. You’re under no obligation to jeapardize the new job by giving them several month’s notice, which could change. “My husband was transferred” or “my husband took a new job that we have to move for” is a valid reason for leaving when the time comes.

Post # 8
91 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

jkat84:  Never tell an employer how temporary you’re going to be until you’re 2 weeks away from being gone. This includes coworkers or anyone work-related.

Source: I have witnessed the opposite(giving more than a two week notice) backfire literally every time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  sheslovely.
Post # 9
176 posts
Blushing bee

If you do, you won’t get the job. So I suppose that’s something for you to work out using your own set of ethics. 

Post # 10
1308 posts
Bumble bee

No.  Don’t tell them until 2 weeks – 1 month out when your decision is final to move.  Life can change in both directions.  If you end up not moving for whatever reason, you don’t want to be out a job.

Post # 11
1888 posts
Buzzing bee

As long as you wouldn’t be breaking a contract or something like that, no, don’t tell them. It’s none of their business. Don’t leave until you leave. If you’re based in the US, the market has put so much power into employers’ hands, I would never feel bad about leaving a job early.

The topic ‘Moving sometime in 2016 – tell potential employer?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors