- Mrs. Doily
- 5 years ago
- Wedding: March 2012 - Father's Vineyard Church/ A Touch of Class Banquet Center
At my 39 week appointment I was told that I was 0% effaced, 0% dilated, and that E was still very high. So when I went into my 40 week appointment on Wednesday, 12/18, I wasn’t expecting much. The first thing my midwife does is check my weight and blood pressure. I had gained 6 pounds in one week and my blood pressure went from being in the 110’s over 60’s and 70’s to 139/95. My midwife started asking gentle questions as far as if I had swelling (my feet, ankles, knees, hands, and face had started swelling in the last week), headaches (I had several in during that week), and vision changes (started getting little spots during that week). She immediately had my urine tested and sure enough, I had protein in my urine.
She gently told me that she was sending me to Labor and Delivery to be further evaluated, but to be prepared that since I was two days from my due date, that if I was showing the same symptoms there, they would probably induce me since that is the only way to stop pre-eclampsia from developing further. I was told to go straight to the hospital. I went, and they immediately put me on monitors, where they were checking my blood pressure every 10 minutes for an hour. After an hour of consistently high blood pressures, the midwife on call said that she had discussed it with the OBs on duty and they all agreed that inducing would be the safest decision since I was so close to my due date anyways. So despite having a normal, healthy pregnancy, I had developed pre-eclampsia in that last week.
I called my husband and told him that he needed to get our hospital bags and the car seat from home and meet me at the hospital (35 minutes away). They settled me in and checked me to see what they were dealing with. I was 1/2 cm dilated, still not effaced and E was still swimming high. So they decided to start me on cervidil, and get my cervix more favorable. They inserted it at 6 pm that night and within 2 hours I was having contractions every 3-5 minutes but they only lasted only about 30-60 seconds. I managed to get some sleep (from like 11-5), and they came and checked me at 6 am to see how I was progressing. I was 1 1/2 cm, 50% effaced, and E was still high. I was given my first dose of cyrotec then to help further my cervix. My contractions got to be about 2-5 minutes apart, but were still only 30-60 seconds long. So they gave me another dosage
After another 4 hours (it was now 2ish on 12/19) , they checked me again and I had got to 2 cm, was 80% effaced, and E had moved down just a smidge. Despite not having a very good Bishop’s score, because I was having pretty regular contractions on my own, my midwife wanted to move straight to Pitocin. I trusted her, so we went with her plan and started on the lowest dose. My contractions immediately started to get stronger, and a little longer. My dosage went up slowly with every 20 minutes and my contractions got more intense, closer together, and longer. I had received three separate IV applications of narcotics to try to take the edge off and help me rest in between the contractions. By the third time, it wasn’t working anymore. After laboring for 24 hours, I decided to go against my birth plan and get an epidural. I was exhausted, crying from the pain, and knew if it continued, I would have no strength to push when the time came. At 8:30, my savior came and gave it to me. I was able to finally rest and went to sleep almost immediately.
I was woken at 11 because E was not responding to the pitocin very well. His heartrate was getting a little erratic so they had me roll and stay on my side. Once I was on my side, he was fine. I will tell you, that I had to flip every 30 minutes to help keep the medicine evenly distributed (I could feel my legs and move them with effort). At 1 am on 12/20 the midwife came in and I was 3 cm dilated, 90% effaced, but E was being stubborn and not moving down. So she suggested breaking my water so it would take away his “swimming pool” and make him move down. I managed to get some more rest after that.
At four I woke up feeling like I needed to push and I told the nurse that. She asked if the urge came and went or if it stayed. I told her it came and went. She told me to tell her when it was constant. At 7 am the new midwife on call came in to check on me and I told her the urge was not going away. She gave the nurse a look when she thought I wasn’t looking like I wasn’t going to be far enough along. She checked me and sure enough, I was 10 cm, 100% effaced and E was engaged and down. It was finally time to push.
I started to push and after about a half an hour, we realized that my IV had failed in my hand. The saline solution had filled my hand, and it was disgustingly swollen. So in the middle of pushing, they tried to put an IV in the other hand. As the nurse tried to put in, my vein “disappeared” and she couldn’t find it. So they called the anesthesiologist in to put one in. They put it in and while they did it, discovered I was also running a fever. So they started antibiotics and called the peds team to give them a heads up that E would probably need them when delivered. I kept pushing through out this. After an hour and a half a doctor suddenly came in and started throwing about terms like forceps and vacuum assisted delivery. My midwife was livid. Apparently she had talked to him in the hall because they were concerned about my energy level going down and the infection, and the fact that I was starting to approach 12 hours of my water being broken. But it was just to put a plan together if I hadn’t delivered on my own by noon. It was only about 10:30.
After that I really bore down and started to make my pushing the most efficient I could. Finally at 11:24 am on 12/20, after what I consider 31.5 hours of active labor (though it was 38 from when my contractions started) and almost 3.5 hours of pushing, baby boy made his grand appearance. He was 7lb 10.5 oz and 20.5 inches long. He was put immediately on my chest for a minute before peds swept away with him. I got to hear him cry before they took him to transition because they were concerned that he had a wheeze. He also had a slight fever. Darling Husband went with him, and I was left behind to finish delivering the placenta and get cleaned up. I suffered 3 2nd degree tears (two to the pernium and one to the top), and several other minor 1st degree tears. They had an OB come in to stitch me up because I was losing quite a bit of blood from one of my tears.
At one point Darling Husband came back in to check on me and the doctor had accidently knocked over a bucket containing blood and afterbirth and it had sprayed all over him, the floor, and the walls. the doctor was standing up holding an instrument, covered in blood when Darling Husband walked in, and he just said “Don’t worry, it’s not as bad as it looks.” Darling Husband was one traumatized poor dude. Darling Husband had come in to tell me that they had moved him into the nursery to start E on antibiotics. I didn’t get to see him until about two hours later when they moved me into the mother-child room.
It was a very rough recovery for me between the stitches and the blood loss. My milk supply took a long time to come in, and E had a lot of latching issues. Because he was born on a weekend, and right before the holidays, we were unable to see a lactation consultant and the latching issues continued after we got home. He ended up losing almost 11% of his birth weight, so we were told to start supplementing. This just made the nipple confusion even worse, and the latching worse. Eventually, I decided to just exclusively pump and bottle feed E. My supply has finally come in and we have not had to supplement with any formula in the last two days. Things are starting to get a bit easier as far as reading him, and I’m getting excited to share every little development with him. My all natural birth flew out the window quickly, but I know that he came exactly how he was supposed to, and we are both here healthy and happy and that is what counts.