Post # 1
My MUA is very into pageants herself and does an excellent job networking to the pageant community. I do not do pageants and though people had warned me against booking with her, I did a makeup/hair trial anyways. Her interest in pageants actually made me want to book her because I love that glam look.
I hated my look. I told her smokey eye and she turned me into this geisha looking bride with rose swirls instead of the bun I had shown and told her I wanted. Given this upsetting make up trial, I waited 4 months before asking her to do another. My wedding is in May and I wanted to do one now. I have a crazy, hectic school schedule and even explained it to her but she said “we have so much time” and let’s not do it now. The only time I can drive back home and to where she is located is March and I do not want to wait that long for her to possibly give me a disappointing look again. My idea for doing another trial now was to see if we can still be a good fit and keep her booked or else I will find someone else.
People warned me that she puts her brides on the backburner and places all her attention on pageant contestants. Honestly she is kind of sassy and I don’t feel like confornting her again. She was very firm in her decision to not do one just yet. And she left me hanging about dates in March so I don’t even have a concrete date set for that.
Post # 2
I’d start looking at other MUAs and see if you can set up a trial within the time frame you want. Have you already given her a deposit?
Post # 3
Will you lose money if you let her go?
If not, I would find someone else. The fact that she disregarded your wishes is not okay. It’s one thing to take your suggestions and do something a little bit different but still in the same vein (eg, smokey eyes with browns instead of grays) to see if you like it, and another to just go in a completely different direction without your approval.
I don’t think it’s worth the headache to try to salvage this. In her words, you have “so much time” – to find a new MUA 🙂
Best of luck!
Post # 4
kikilo: I’d look into a different MUA. One that does more weddings than pagents. Sounds like you’re not a priority of hers, and that would really worry me, especially on my wedding day.
Post # 5
kikilo: I’d look for someone else. Even if it means losing a deposit. I had a similar situation with our DJ. Not answering emails, etc. It began to make me feel uncomfortable about booking it. It was a little more awkward in my situation because my husband was acqaintences with him and he’s friends with a cousin in law. After an awkward conversation, we parted ways and I couldn’t be more thankful that I trusted me gut and went with someone else.
It’s just business, not personal and it’s not worth risking your feelings about your appearance on your wedding day.
Post # 6
Sounds like she’s not a good fit for you- I would try to find someone else.
Post # 7
Am I being too sensitive?