(Closed) My alterations were $720!!!!!!!!!!!

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 46
354 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
lauraashley09:  Which area are you in? Definitely do more reasearch and ask friends. My dress was quoted at $650 but there’s no way I will pay for that. After some digging I found a retire seamstress who used to work on wedding alternations for years and now working under the table. New price? Less than $300.

Yelp around as well.

Post # 47
1668 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Mine was 700 – BUT to be fair, I had to get a bridal 8 to get it long enough in the waist for me, and it is going down to a bridal 2. So we knew up front a lot would have to be done to the dress – we were actually warned about it at the dress shop (we went to an independent seamstress). Also she had to remake the bust AND the bustle is really complicated. I can’t believe yours was that much for standard alterations.

Post # 48
107 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

If you bought the dress, it seems like you can certainly cancel the alterations at the original shop. Just say, “You know, I just love the way it looks all large and droopy like this, guess I don’t need alterations after all. I’ll be taking the dress with me.”

Then get yourself to an independent seamstress STAT. I live in an expensive city, am having the whole top of the dress taken in, a new bustle added, the dress hemmed, and new boob cups put in for $300. 

The topic ‘My alterations were $720!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors