For anybody who is curious, here are the “instructions” of how I made it:
Bowl or similar item to use as a form
Cling wrap/Saran wrap/Cellophane Wrap (Did you realize how many names this stuff has?)
Fabric Stiffener (You can find this at any local craft store) or watered down white glue
Small fan (if you’re like me and have no patience)
Wax Paper (this is optional, but I found it came in handy for working on, because nothing sticks to it)
Paper Towel (again, optional, but helpful)
1. Wrap your bowl in cling wrap.
2. Cover your doily is fabric stiffener. What worked best for me was to put some in a plastic cup, put the doily in the cup, squish it into the stiffener using a paint brush.
3. Ring out excess stiffener. For me, I used a paper towel to help keep things from getting too messy.
4. Make sure that the doily is *completely* covered in stiffener. For this, I just laid it out on the wax paper and used a paint brush to go back over any dry spots.
5. Put the doily on the form.
6. Wait. This is where a small fan comes in very handy. You’re *supposed* to wait overnight, but a fan will cut your drying time down to about an hour or two.
Once it’s dry, take your doily off the form, and there you have it!
For the handle, I just used beads and strung them onto a thin ribbon, then tied it onto the basket. I then tied 2 more colors of ribbon around that.
These really do keep their shape, and I could easily see this being used for something other than a flower girl basket- maybe fill it with fruit or flowers for a centerpiece, or make tiny ones to to around votive candles.