- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2012
Disclaimer: This is probably way more detail than the average person wants (feel free to skip ahead to the pictures), but I’m hoping this could be helpful for anyone considering arranging their own flowers.
I decided early on in the wedding planning process to DIY the flowers for our wedding (after hearing my first price quote & seeing that other bees had done such a terrific job of it). Fiftyflowers seemed to have the best selection & reviews, so one month before the wedding, I placed an order for:
72 Butterscotch Cream Garden Roses ($179.99)
60 Perfumela Peach Spray Garden Roses ($139.99)
75 Alejandra Perfect Peach Roses ($149.99) and
100 Asters ($109.99)
The flowers were scheduled to arrive by 10:30am two days before the wedding, and I had recruited my mom & sister to be my assistant florists for the day. When 10:30 came and went without a delivery, we started to get a little nervous. Finally, an email arrived saying that Fedex had attempted delivery, but that no one had been home (which was, of course, not the case).
While I tearfully tried to reason with Fedex customer service (whose solution was for me pick up the flowers after 9am the following day!), my heroic fiancé got in his car & drove until he tracked down the delivery man. Crisis averted, we carried the boxes inside & were finally ready to begin…
The directions said to let the flowers soak for 6 hours. We knew we’d have to cut that time down, so we tried to get the stems cut & the flowers into buckets with plant food as quickly as possible.
While they were soaking, my mom & I went to the local flower market to pick up some ivory roses (24 for $24) & baby’s breath (4 bunches for $20). When we got back, we let the flowers soak for a little longer (maybe 2 hours total) while we enjoyed some much needed comfort food.
Then it was time to start removing all the thorns, leaves & outside petals. I’d bought a thorn stripper but found that it was easier to just take them off by hand.
When that was done, I started working on the bouquets, while my mom & sister put together beautiful centerpieces.
When the arrangements were done, I still had to pack the vases into boxes (thankfully the groomsmen volunteered to transport these to the venue – I hadn’t quite realized how heavy they would be) & clean up the huge mess we had made. It was around 10pm by the time I finished (so thank goodness I did not attempt this the day before the wedding – I wouldn’t have made it to the rehearsal!).
I still had to wrap the bouquets & make the boutonnieres, but I left that for after the rehearsal dinner so that they would be as fresh as possible. I was too tired to take pictures that night, but here are a few non-professional pictures of the flowers in action:
The corsages were the only thing we ordered from a professional. If I could do it again, I would order the boutonnieres too, since my husband’s is falling apart in all the pictures:
Overall, we spent about $700 for 12 centerpieces, 3 bouquets & 7 boutonnieres (and still had extra flowers even after filling up every vase I could find to decorate the bar, bathroom counter etc.). It was a lot of work & more stressful than I expected, but we were able to have flowers we loved for a very reasonable price, so I think that in the end it was worth it!