(Closed) My dog has seperation anxiety & I’m leaving her :(

posted 8 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
474 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Hmm. I would be worried as well if my dog ran away. I know how it is to house train them in their new ‘home’. Have you considered putting her in boarding while your away?

Post # 4
131 posts
Blushing bee

I would defintley board her – it is not worth the risk at all!

Post # 5
396 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

We use a buried wire dog fence for our dog. It has a shock collar that will correct her if she tries to leave the yard. It is very easy to train the dog. My dog was only corrected twice before she realized it meant business. Yes it is hard to watch it happen but if you train them correctly they will only need corrected a few times or not at all; Depending on their disipline level. I couldn’t believe that it actually worked on my high strung dog. I assumed she would run right through it. But when she hears the warning beap she turns right back to the yard as quickly as possible!

Post # 6
2703 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

like some of the PP’s… i would highly recommend boarding her rather than having your friends watch her while they are housesitting. i don’t think it’s worth the risk!

Post # 7
2007 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I’m sorry!  This really isn’t a fun thing to deal with.  Separation anxiety is one of the biggest reasons I love crate training.  When ever you move or travel then their home base is always right there with them.  Obviously there’s not enough time to do that before you leave but maybe she will start to realize this is her new home by then and settle down a bit.  Regardless, I would have your friends keep her on a leash/tie out at all times while you’re gone.  That’s what I always did with my dog (also very much a one-person animal with separation anxiety) when I had to leave him and it worked well.

ETA: He would have flipped sh*t if I had tried to board him.  Even though he was uneasy with me being gone being at home and with people he knew helped prevent him from feeling abandoned.  However, I could see boarding being a really good option for some dogs.

Post # 9
2821 posts
Sugar bee

When my dog was growing up – maybe around 1 1/2 he went through a stage like this.  What helped him calm down were other dogs, do you know anyone who has another dog that could perhaps play with him sometimes.

Post # 10
396 posts
Helper bee

Thats the nice thing about the shock fence collar. She controls when she is shocked. It’s not you pushing a button. Once she learns the boundary then its up to her to stay away from it. It sounds like it might work perfectly for your dog. She will probably be very timid of it at first and stay close to the house but she will eventually test her boundary and feel safe in the yard.

Post # 11
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2010

we used some medicine for a while, just some calming pills or something from petsmart. we didn’t give them to him everyday or anything, but sometimes he just needed a little extra help relaxing and soon he was much better about when we would leave.

Post # 14
396 posts
Helper bee

an FYI I think they even make them in more of a radius now too. So you can either bury the fence in any shape you want or they make a wall unit that has a radius of so many feet (you choose how far). Then you don’t need to bury anything. I dont’ know how well those kinds work though. I’ve only heard of them. We’ve always used the buried wire. I’ve put it in at my current house and my parents before that. One place we rented a little trencher and the other we buried with a spade. It is a little work but you can get it done in a few hours with some help.

Post # 15
690 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Stp doing laundry! After you’ve worn your clothes, leave them around so that she associates your smell with the new home. And when you leave, she will have your scent to comfort her.

Post # 16
2607 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I don’t think an invisible fence is going to confine a dog that is as fearful as what the OP is desribing.  If she won’t go near something that made a noise because she hit it with her tail, what is she going to do the first time she is shocked by the invisible fence?  I’m thinking there is a good chance she will be traumatized, and good luck getting her back across the border if she does cross it.  Invisible Fences shock the dog for getting out, but they also shock for going back in.  Plus, they do not keep other animals or people out.  I’m not saying they don’t work for some people and their dogs, but a dog as soft as this one has the potential to have major problems with IF training. 

A dog needs to be trained to understand that she needs to listen to all members of the household.  The fact that she freaks out like this when you leave, even when there are people she knows there, is a bad sign.  She needs professional training ASAP.  Has she ever been to basic obedience classes or anything?  She needs some clear boundries set, so she can feel comfortable with her place in the pack and stop being so terrified of everything, especially in her new house.  I would start her on NILIF (http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm) NOW, and enroll her in obedience classes as soon as you get back from the honeymoon.  Make sure whoever is taking care of her also continues with the NILIF training and does NOT take her outside without a leash, (make sure her collar fits properly so she cannot back out of it if she becomes scared).

I am not trying to be rude, but if you don’t have the money to put your dog in boarding while you’re away, please do not get another dog yet.  This one needs some time and money put into getting her stablized in the family and home first.

The topic ‘My dog has seperation anxiety & I’m leaving her :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors