Post # 1
Hailey got a bulb off the Christmas tree this morning and tried to eat it. DH found her looking guilty surrounded by shards of glass. We weren’t sure if she ate any, but we called the vet because she does tend to eat stuff she shouldn’t. The vet wanted to xray her so we took her in. Unfortunately, the glass didn’t show up on the xray (they put a ‘control’ piece of glass on the table next to her to see if it would show up and it didn’t), so $115 later we don’t know any more. We just have to watch her and hope that if she ate something it will pass without hurting her. Silly dog! I guess it’s my fault for putting bulbs where she could get to them. 🙁
I’m going to go out today and buy plastic bulbs for the bottom of the tree!
Has anyone else had their pet do something like this?!
Post # 3
We have a lot of old antique balls, that Artie ( or dog) loves to crunch up. We had like 20.. now we have 2…The vet said she didn’t eat any but we fed her lots of bread anyway so if she did, it wouldnt cut the lineings of any of her organs. She was fine. 🙂
Post # 4
One time I came home to find our older dog, Louie, had pulled a glass pie pan off the counter and spreads the shards of glass all over the house. 🙁 We did have him x-rayed (nothing showed up on the x-ray for us, either), but our vet said he probably didn’t injest any glass. He said dogs have very sensitive mouths and rarely ever injest something like glass; usually they spit stuff like that out. Anyway, Lou ended up being perfectly fine, and we’re pretty sure he managed to lick every single shard of glass without actually swallowing any.
Hopefully, your girl will be the same way! Good luck!
Post # 5
I agree with Mrs. Spring, it’s pretty likely he spit it out. Sometimes dogs are smarter than we give them credit for. My dad had a hunting dog that was allergic to peanuts (dad didn’t know for years) and he would feed him a few peanut M&Ms when they were out. JJ would just eat the shell and spit out the peanuts. Once we found out about the allergy, he switched to jerky :). The point is…dogs can usually tell what they should and shouldn’t eat. The bread thing sounds like a great idea, though!
Post # 6
@jo.lee: @Mrs. Spring: @imalittlebirdie: thanks girls!!! That makes me feel a little bit better… Hopefully she didn’t like how it felt and spit it out. She has eaten stuff in the past that’s made her sick though, so I don’t entirely trust her judgement. Fingers crossed though!
Here’s a picture of her…
Post # 7
OMG. That has to be the cutest puppy I have ever seen. no lie. I want to take her home with me…
Post # 8
What a cutie! Hope she’s feeling okay!
When I was a teenager we had a cocker spaniel, he was the absolute love of my life! One day I came home from school, and instead of his usual, run to the door to greet me, he was laying in the middle of the kitchen floor with brown stuff smeared on his face. I grabbed a paper towel, wiped his face, and then smelled the towel…it was chocolate. I searched the house to find a 2lb box of chocolate turtles completely devoured. So I rushed him over to the vet, they pumped his stomach, and kept him overnight to watch him. Luckily he was fine. But I’ll never forget how scared I was!
Post # 9
i thought my puppy had eaten a nail when she was about 7 months old (yikes!). one of the suggestions i read online was to feed her cotton balls soaked in heavy cream — apparently, the cotton balls wrap around anything sharp and protect their insides until they can pass them. can’t hurt to try it (and the puppy thought the cotton balls were THE BEST thing ever…).
Post # 10
She will be making some festive poop for you perhaps in the next half a day or so 😉
Well I do know their stomach juices can pulverize bones, bone bits and shards, so hopefully the thin makeup of the X-mas bulbs will be a peice of cake!
Post # 11
I would kill my dog if she did this. She loves to get into the trash – Lord knows what she eats. She knows she’s bad, but every now and then (when she’s lacking attention), she will go for it. I don’t have the money to take her to the vet every time she decides to be stupid.
I hope your puppy is ok. I also hope you let her know that the tree is something she should not be near.
Post # 12
She is ADORABLE!
If she did eat a piece, she will most likely get really sick in the next few days as it passes, so you will know and can take her back in. I hope she didn’t!!!
They really are just like kids sometimes!
Post # 13
@78h2o: I watched a show called “My dog ate what?” The dog had ate needles & the vet (who also talked on the show) gave the dog bread to eat so the needles would get in the bread when he passed what he didn’t already throw up. Maybe call and ask your vet if this is an okay for you to give your dog just in case?
Post # 14
@78h2o: Awwwwwwww, she is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!
Post # 15
my friend has six dogs (she works in animal rescue so it comes with the territory!) two of her dogs pulled a glass container off the counter and ate the pasta and glass– they both had to go in for surgery but are safe and sound now!
(they ingested quite a bit of glass though, she could tell from how much of the pan was missing! I think a little bulb should be okay, just watch her and see if she’s acting funny.)
Post # 16
My dog did that last christmas!!! I about had a heart attack. How do you eat GLASS?! The vet told us the milk-soaked cotton ball thing and also to feed her as much bread as possible – useful advice for those of us with dogs who eat anything. She is picky about puppy food but she looooooooved the milk-soaked cotton…weird.