(Closed) My English Bulldog ate 75 pieces of Lindt chocolate.

posted 4 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
682 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Yikessssss! Did you call the vet just in case?

Post # 4
Member
14702 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Poor thing, I hope he feels better. That can be a scary situation. 

Post # 5
Member
3028 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014 - Prague

OMG, that poor silly dog! Did she puke wrappers? Poop wrappers?

I’d call the vet.

Post # 6
Member
3266 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@jesssamesssa:  I’ve heard something like 1oz of milk chocolate to 1lb of dog is the max dogs can handle. I don’t know how much Lindt chocolate she gobbled up or how much she weighs, but definitely keep an eye on her if you can’t get into the vets with the holidays.

Post # 7
Member
5664 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would absolutely call the vet if you haven’t already. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. As are grapes? who knew…

It’s good that she’s throwing up, but he’s small. it’s not like a lab ate it.

Post # 8
Member
2363 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013 - B&B

EEEP!

Yes keep a close watch, although puking it up is helpful to get it out of her system!

Our dogs have gotten into chocolate a couple times, even though we try to be careful! They are dachshunds. One time was my DH, who was my then bf… he completely underestimated them and put the chocolate up on the kitchen table LOL. He forgot they could get up there when they were determined enough!

Ours have always ended up being ok though, they might have gotten sick and needed a few hours or overnight to feel better, but then they are ok.

Post # 9
Member
2832 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

OMG!…  My small dog has eaten his fair share of chocolate. He was fine, just a little upset tummy and some pukage.

Poor bb.

Post # 11
Member
9000 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

General rule is:

Milk chocolate: one ounce per pound of body weight (so, without intervention, a 16 pound dog (7.2 kg) would likely die from eating one pound of milk chocolate)

Dark chocolate: 1/3 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 5 ounces of dark chocolate for that same 16 pound dog)

Baker’s chocolate: 1/9 of an ounce per pound of body weight (around 1.8 ounces of baker’s chocolate for a 16 pound dog)Cocoa powder: 1/16 of an ounce per pound of dog (around 1 ounce of cocoa powder to kill a 16 pound dog)

 

White chocolate contains no chocolate, just cream. Many dogs are lactose intolerant so it can give them the shits and the sugar isn’t real good for them. Once the theobromine is in the dog’s bloodstream, the half-life is around 17.5 hours, so 24 hours or so after the dog has consumed the chocolate, if it is still alive, it’s probably going to make it.

Post # 12
Member
333 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Yikes, that is so scary.  My dog once broke into my roommate’s room and ate a bit of a dark chocolate bar with espresso beans in it, I about had a heart attack and dropped him off at the vet the next morning and left him there so they could keep an eye on him.  Thankfully he lived!

Post # 13
Member
376 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Poor thing!!!

Please call your vet and tell them how much she ate.  You may need to do something to make sure she’s ok. Better safe than sorry.

Post # 15
Member
3266 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@jesssamesssa:  Poor pup. It sounds like she’ll be okay though since she’s eating and drinking.

Post # 16
Member
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

Both our dogs(one 75lb and one 10lb) ate 3 boxes of chocolates here the other day. >:( They were fine, just had to go out to the yard a lot.

The topic ‘My English Bulldog ate 75 pieces of Lindt chocolate.’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors