- 8 years ago
- Wedding: February 2012
I had never made a gingerbread house before, so I decided to give it a shot this year! Please do not ask me what possessed me to make such a complicated gingerbread house… it just kind of happened! I’m not a professional baker or anything. This took me days of work (I started working on it on Saturday and I finished it last night. I technically made the dough and the templates the weekend before!). I love the final product and just thought I’d share!
It is 100% made of edible materials!!
I actually documented the whole process via Instagram! 🙂
Part 1: Baking! I got the recipe for this gingerbread from here. Its a pretty weird gingerbread. It becomes rock hard after baking! It almost feels more like hard candy than cookie, but it still looks and smells like gingerbread. I cut out the pieces using cardboard templates I made (I modified an existing gingerbread house pattern)
Part 2: Candy Windows! I made little candy windows by melting hard candy in the oven, then I used royal icing to “glue” the windows to the inside walls of the house. I followed this tutorial on YouTube. They actually make pretty convining glass, and light can shine through!
Part 3: The start of decorating! I did some of the details before I put the house together. It turned out that “gluing” some of the “logs” on before assembly was a poor idea, as most of them fell off while I put the house together and I had to stick them back on anyhow. I also used melted chocolate to make the little “windowpanes” and the hinges and doorknob on the door (The door is just gingerbread dyed red with food colouring, btw).
Part 4: Putting the house together! I was dreading this part, but actually it wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. The roof was a bit difficult, but other than that it went together rather easily. The chimney is made of three gingerbread cookies stuck together with royal icing. As you can see I used cans of tomato soup to hold up the walls while it dried.
Part 5: Shingles on the roof! I used cereal to make the little singles. I bought it from bulk barn so they were unbranded, but they looked like Shreddies. I just started at the bottom, did a line of icing and then did a row of shingles all the way up on both sides. At the top where the shingles on both sides met, I sealed the seam with large pretzel sticks.
Part 6: Log cabin walls! You may have noticed by now that I haven’t been using white royal icing. I actually used grey icing (I made by mixing a bunch of food colours together) because I didn’t want it to look like snow was between the “logs” and “stones” or behind the shingles. The “logs” are skinny pretzel sticks. At the corners I covered the seams by once again using large pretzel sticks.
Part 7: Chimney stones! I was originally just going to use jelly beans chopped in halves for the chimney stones, but while I was at bulk barn I discovered these awesome “chocolate peddles”! They’re actually pretty convincing rocks and they are delicious! I ate all the “reject” stones. 😉
Part 8: Stone walkway! I also used the chocolate peddles to make the stone walkway infront of the house. Now I’ve switched to white icing!
Part 9: Snowbanks! I am actually very proud of my snowbanks! I wasn’t sure how I was going to get icing to look like it’s piled up around the house, but it dawned on my while I was at work. What I did was first “glue” mini marshmallows around the house in little heaps and then covered them with the icing to make great little snowbanks! I also sprinkled all the “snow” on my house with regular granulated sugar, which gives it a really realistic sparkle. It doesn’t show up well on camera, but looks fantastic in real life!
Part 10: Snow on ledges and icicles! I used regular flood icing to put snow on the windowsills, the top of the roof and make the icicles all around. I also sprinkled the roof with icing sugar to look like there was a light dusting of snow!
Part 11: The fence! The fence was by far the most frustering part of this project. I tried setting it up multiple ways and none seemed to work consistetly. I tried gluing the pretzels together before setting them up but they often fell apart while I handled it to actually glue it infront of the house. Then I tried just sticking them directly on one by one, but they had trouble staying up without support. In any case, after much fiddling, I did get a nice looking fence.
Part 12: Greenery! And the final touch, green garlands and trees! I had trouble getting the perfect shade of green. I ended up using a whole bottle of green food colouring (and not the cheap stuff) and dabbles of red to get the colour I wanted. I piped both the garlands, wreath and trees with a star tip. I decorated the garlands and the wreath with silver ball sprinkles. The trees are actually just waffle cones. The largest tree is three waffle cones stacked and the smallest tree is a waffle cone carefully cut in half.
And here are some photos of the finished house!
In this last picture you can see the candy windows glowing! I have a little hole in the back of the house where I can insert electric tea lights to make it look like the fireplace is roaring inside. 🙂