Post # 32
Oh no! Any update? Did you find a new vet?
The sedative might make him out of it for awhile & some pets can’t tolerate certain antibiotics (made my foster dog throw up, but different ones were fine)
I really hope he’s okay!!!
Post # 33
Oh no, I just read the update. Please let us know how he’s doing… He’ll be in my thoughts.
Post # 34
Sending positive vibes. I hope he gets better. =)
Post # 35
Sending positive thoughts your way!
Post # 36
oh no!!! I would definitely leave that vet. My cat has a habit of eating elastic (bands, stings, etc.) I took him to the vet because he was throwing up all the time and the vet told me that his throat was irritated (Uh. DUH, if you were throwing up all day, wouldn’t your throat be irritated to? What is CAUSING the vomiting?) So I switched vets and they put him into surgery immediately. He had a huge blockage in his tummy, which ended up being hair elastics and strings from his cat toys.
I’m so glad i decided to switch vets at that instant or else i would have lost him.
Post # 37
Aw! I am thinking about your kitty. I hope you were able to get into the vet or emergency care!!
Post # 38
Tell us what’s going on with the kitty…when you get a chance
Post # 40
@UpstateCait: Oh my goodness I hope Lincoln is doing better today :/
Post # 41
The vet called us back last night and said that the vomiting could just be from the sedative and meds he was given but to monitor him and if he’s still not better by this morning to bring him back. Between Darling Husband and I, we were up every hour throughout the night checking on him. This morning he seemed to be doing pretty well. He was snuggling with Darling Husband and purring like he normally does. He used the litter box for the first time (that we saw) and a few minutes later he threw up again. This time it was bile and it was all over our bed. After a few more minutes, he threw up bile again but there wasn’t nearly as much as there was the first time. We took him to the vet this morning and they admitted him.
I just got off the phone with the vet and he has pancreatitis. She said the xrays and bloodwork all came back normal except for an increased number of amylase (probably spelling that wrong) that are found in the pancreas. She didn’t seem worried so that’s good. She said that we could either leave him there overnight or pick him up and monitor him ourselves. If we left him there, he wouldn’t even be checked on until the morning so we figured having him home with us would be better. He’s already stressed out enough, he doesn’t need to spend the night alone in a cage. The vet said that he will need a few days of fluids and meds so we have to drop him off before work and pick him up after for as long as he needs the treatment. Thankfully the vet is literally a minute away so it’s easy enough.
Lincoln is a big cat (18 lbs) and VERY strong. I guess he fought them while he was having his blood work done which doesn’t surprise me. She’s now comparing him to a small horse, lol.
I just want him to be better and not in pain anymore. I feel so bad for him. This morning was torture since we had to wait until after 1pm to call for an update. I can’t wait to pick him up in a few hours.
Post # 42
Awe, so sorry to hear about Lincoln. I hope it all works out.
Post # 43
@UpstateCait: Just thought I’d chime in here with a positive recovery from pancreatitis. My best friends dog fell ill and they took awhile to diagnose it. She ended up with pancreatitis, and they actually had debated putting her down as they weren’t sure she’d actually make it.
With daily drop offs to the vet for fluids/meds, and lots of hope, she got better. So here’s to hoping on your end too! Keep taking him in each day, and things should improve. I figured I’d share a similar story, which ended up with a positive outcome 🙂
Post # 44
I’ll be thinking good thoughts for your furbaby! I hope he’s all better soon!
Our little dog had to be admitted to the hospital last year for gastroenteritis and it was a really scary experience, so I definitely sympathize. She had a 105.8 fever, blood in her stool, and was throwing up every few minutes. She got to go home after two nights and we were sooo thankful!
PS – if you don’t have pet insurance, I highly recommend Petplan – we received a check that covered her entire hospital stay (minus our deductible) within a week of sending in the paperwork.
Post # 45
@UpstateCait: Check out the milk approved for cats, it is easily digestible and my cat loved it. I believe it comes in a “juice box” looking carton and you can get it for fairly cheap at local pet stores.
I hope that he feels better soon, I’m so sorry to hear about a sick furbaby. Positive thoughts your way and I agree find a new vet. Our vet is more than accomodating even when they are busy and I’m being over worrisome. They always make time to address my concerns and your vet should do the same for you!
Post # 46
Glad they finally diagnosed the problem. I’m sure he recover quickly!