Post # 1
I am applying to nursing school and have my entrance interview scheduled for Friday! I am excited and nervous, and need some help! If I get accepted I will be starting nursing school in July.
The counselor told me to dress ‘proffessional’, so I am thinking black dress pants, nice blouse, a black blazer, and flats. Sound about right?
Has anyone been through a nursing interview before? I am thinking most of the questions will be in regards to what about nursing interests me, and why I want to be a nurse.
Any helpful tips or advice?
Post # 3
I think your outfit sounds good. Good luck!
Post # 4
Sounds good. Good luck!!!
Post # 5
The best interview tips I can give are :
shake hands when you enter and look the person in the eye
when asked a question, remember to take a breath before you blurt out an answer. It’s ok to think about how you wold like to respond.
have a couple of questions prepared to ask them- do some research on the program ahead of time- look at their website
also do some research on the website of the licensing body in your state and the professional association.
don’t worry about trying to make yourself look too much like Florence Nightingale. There are many reasons to go into nursing and helping others is only one. There are so many areas of nursing that you can always be broadening your knowledge.
Good luck and hopefully welcome to the profession!
Post # 6
The outfit sounds good 🙂
I am not a nurse, but when I went for my pharmacy school interview, these were the types of questions I was asked:
- Tell me about yourself!
- How will you balance the time required for school and other activities/ work you are involved in?
- Do you plan on remaining in the area after graduation?
- What type of support system do you have?
- What do you expect the biggest challenge of pharmacy school will be? How to you plan on overcoming that obstacle?
- Where do you picture yourself 5 years from now?
- Is volunteerism/ community involvement an important value to you? If so, what have you done recently?
- What makes you a better candidate for this school than other applicants?
- Describe the experiences you have had in this field (work related, shadowing, etc).
Post # 7
Thank you for all the good luck!
@julies1949: Thank you so much for your words about ‘pausing before answering’. I am sure taking a moment to think is better than starting out with ‘ummmm…’.
Post # 8
@EvaBostonTerrier: Awesome! Thanks! That will help a bunch!
Post # 9
Good luck!! Your outfit sounds great.