- 7 years ago
- Wedding: September 2011
I recently switched caterers as my original choice, although having great prices and great sounding food, didn’t know what a vegan could eat (my mum is vegan), and wasn’t really all that helpful with menu creation.
I met with my new caterer yesterday and she is awesome! Here are some food ideas we came up with.
They are all going to be substantial sized little meals, served in glasses or small bowls, so about 3-4 bites per serve.
She recommends around 7-8 different items with at least one of each per person.
- Morrocan chicken tagine with rice
- Asian beef salad
- Mexican beef and bean mince served in Chat Potatoes, with Cheese, Sour Cream & Chives
- San Choy Bau (Asian pork lettuce thingies)
- Salt and pepper squid
- Rosemary lamb skewers
- Puff pastry quihes filled with Zucchini & bacon, topped with crumbled feta
- BBQ Prawns
- Whiting fillets
I’ve chosen 9 to be safe. I know that not everyone will like everything, but people who don’t like something will probably get to have 2 of another dish that someone else doesn’t want. Although 9 mini meals is probably too much food anyway.
And for no extra cost she came up with an entire fully vegan menu for my mum and anyone else who needs it, and will make all 8 of these vegan choices as well, even if she only has to make one of each on the night.
- Marinated baked eggplant slithers served with cumin spiced roasted pumpkin tossed with baby spinach leaves with a sweet mustard dressing
- Baby chat potatoes fill with a lentil stew
- Rice noodles dressed in lime, mint, coriander, chilli & coconut
- Salt & pepper Zucchini
- Marinated mushroom & garlic Skewers
- Puff pastry topped with a roasted corn & avocado salsa
- Moroccan Spiced tofu served with a fresh tomato dressing & coriander
- Sweet potato chips tossed with a lime salt
Sorry, cutting and pasting really made it go wacky.
She is also going to create a vegetarian menu if required, as well as any other dietary requirements of my guests (my RSVP has a section where people can write their requirements and preferences).
I really want to add in a creamy chicken and bacon dish on mashed potatoes or as a pasta dish. Mmmmm. Probably instead of the Morrocan chicken, as I don’t know what that is. Although she swears it is her most popular chicken dish.
And I also think I will make the sweet potato chips for everyone, as well as the vegan puff pastry option, instead of the quiches. Animals don’t need to die for every dish. And I think I need something a bit more vegetabley?
So, what do you think? Any comments or awesome food ideas? What would you eat/not eat from the list?