- 3 years ago
- Wedding: May 2017
Hi bees, I am gonna vent a little bit because I really don’t have that many people in my family who understands my point of view on this.
I am currently planning a wedding for 50 guests in Northern CA. These Napa wedding venues are nice, yes, but come with a $20k price tag.
My problem is, I don’t see the value in this $20K wedding. I think my issue are as follows:
1. My bf and I live together and we are very happy, we don’t see the wedding making us ANY happier, or changing our daily lives from what is now.
2. I have a mortgage. It costs about 60% of my post-tax income and I only save about a $1000 each month, hence this wedding is about a year-worth of savings (as my bf and I would pay for the wedding together)
3. I would rather stay at a 5-star resort in Mexico or the Caribbean, ones that go for like a thousand a night. Honestly, when would I ever stay in those??
4. I would rather buy stocks as an investment.
Below, are my mom’s reasons
1. I am the only child who would be able to have a wedding (for my parents)
2. I am not financially struggling, so why “cheap out”
3. You will regret it
4. Wedding is an investment
I suggested that our families (my bf’s and mine) go on a vacation together and have a destination wedding there. She said “That sounds nice, but no”
Thanks for your input, bees