(Closed) My mothers dress for ceremony & my own for reception?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
708 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Would love to see a picture of the dress. Sounds awesome. If I had the opportunity, I would defintitely wear my mom’s dress down the aisle and then change into my own. Especailly because I am so proud of the example my parents have given me of what a true marriage really is.

And good for you for fitting into your mom’s dress! I feel like people were a lot skinnier 40 years ago 🙂

Post # 5
849 posts
Busy bee

I think that’s a really good idea to do, very sweet.

I’d have your train down at some point, so everyone can see how pretty it is.

Post # 6
1869 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

awww… I think this is such a neat thing.  I wish I could wear my moms dress.

Definitely post pictures!  I’d love to see it!

Post # 7
4 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: January 2012

@kristaot79:

I was so pleased when I read this post. I’m in exactly the same situation and it’s a relief to hear everyone’s thoughts here and such positive thoughts too! My mother in law had mentioned getting her dress down from the attic, I think mainly so she could see it as it’s been up there 35 years without a viewing. I love vintage stuff and asked if I could see it, it was actually really pretty and she asked if I wanted to try it on. She’s a big lady now and we were both pretty surprised that it pretty much fitted and looked really cute! It sounds identical to the one you mentioned with long bell sleeves and a high neck. Well although she kept saying she won’t be offended if I don’t use it, it got whipped off to a neighbour who’s a seamstress and the sleeves were shortened to above the elbow and neck reduced to a high round neck, and it’s been measured so it can be taken in a bit around the waist. I’m waiting to see the final product and am really excited but also really nervous. I love the dress, love the vintage factor, love the sentimentality factor, think it suits me well, but can’t help feeling maybe I’m missing out on a huge part of the wedding process by not choosing a dress. My mum (she had a simple register office wedding and wore a black dress!) thinks it’s a great idea and from a photo that it really suits me. She suggested buying a separate dress of my choice for the reception like this post is talking about to combat all my worries, and I really like this idea. Considering it very seriously. Have you decided what you’re doing yet kristaot79??

Post # 13
2158 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

That’s so cute 🙂 I love it

Post # 14
1284 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Very cute!

The topic ‘My mothers dress for ceremony & my own for reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors