- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
I’ve been very reluctant to share my review because the memories are still too fresh and painful. We are currently seeking some sort of partial refund or compensation for our stay. While I do suggest Secrets resorts, I would not suggest this hotel in Montego Bay or Montego Bay, for that matter. We were told repeatedly by Jamaicans the best place is Negril.
We got married here and then had our honeymoon. Below is listing of what happened to us during our stay:
– Within 20 min of arrival, we got dirty looks for asking for something cold to drink. It was hot and we had just walked a really long way, holding everything. You are supposed to get a tropical drink welcome when you are Preferred Club, upon arrival.
– Minutes after sitting down to check-in, after they made snide comments we were early (45 min and we never requested immediate check-in…we were ok waiting), the bell hop had OPENED my wedding dress and was pawing through it. My now husband could only let out a yelp and point. Thank God I had the good sense to follow advice I read online to turn your dress inside out, or he would have seen everything. The bell hop claimed he didn’t know what the bag was. Please. It was a huge, white bag with the name of my bridal shop on it.
– While heading to our room, we heard another guest complain about the rotten fruit, they were trying to pass off as fresh.
– We get to our room. It’s hot, 3 water leaks in the room, fridge not working and the “luxurious” soaking tub outside was filthy. After calling to have them come and fix everything, the wedding dept told us we had to come see them by a certain time. This was the first we had heard of this…fine, ok. But then they said we had to bring all wedding items with us. So, remember that long trek from the beginning? We were told we had to make it again, with stuff in tow. What didn’t make sense was that when we arrived, we were right by the bridal area. Why they didn’t have us stop then is unknown.
– Our room was never fixed. The 3 leaks were still there and tub was still dirty. We hadn’t been at this place 3 hours and already I wanted to leave. I asked to speak to the hotel manager. After an hour she finally showed up. It wasn’t until I cried and begged for her to please move us to Wild Orchid (we originally started in St. James) and said I would give them a 2 at most, she did something. Her orginial suggestion was to have us stay in the room and have them fix things…again. Oh and we also watched as gorgeous swim up suites in WO went unoccupied while we were stuffed in a reg room. We even offered to pay more!
– We paid for Preferred Club, but according to the manager, there were none in Wild Orchid, so we had a regular room, with PC privledge. This turned out to be a nightmare b/c no matter where we went on that property, we had to beg for PC privledge, based solely on our room number. Each time we had to explain we were in a reg room with PC privledge. One of the concierges in Wild Orchid literally started arguing with us, telling us we were wrong. It wasn’t until that mgr corrected her that she stopped. But never apologized.
– The day before we got married, my now husband, deeply cut his foot on a jagged rock on the Preferred Club beach, due to their lack of cleaning or raking it. This rock was half sticking out of the sand and b/c they don’t have real stairs to the beach, you are forced to jump off a steep ledge. He landed on the rock.
– After we went to see the nurse, we were waiting outside her door, while she was seeing someone else. A curious hotel employee came by to see what happened. As we were telling him, 4-5 more walked up. In the middle of my telling them (in tears and shaking b/c I’m so worried about him) two of them literally start singing, “Every Little Thing” by Bob Marley, singing, “Don’t worry about a thing. Every little thing, is gonna be alright”. I love Bob Marley. But that was not an appropriate or polite response for that time. We felt it was absurd.
– Our new room had a major leak from shower to toilet area. It leaked about an inch of water everytime the shower ran. We reported it. Someone supposedly came to fix it but it still leaked, just as much. We reported it again. This time the manager on duty and housekeeping mgrs came to see. They admitted it needed to be fixed again. It never got fixed and our bathroom constantly remained soaked.
– Housekeeping stole and sorted through some of our belongings. Thank god we used the safe. They stopped after I left a note inside some of the things they had rifled through.
– I arranged to have my dress cleaned. After a full day, they never came to get it. I called again. They didn’t come until the next morning. That evening I called to see when it would be ready. I was told they couldn’t clean it. I was mad b/c they could have told me from the start. I asked for my dress to be returned. It wasn’t returned. Instead the dry cleaning mgr called me stating he would figure it out and have it cleaned…for free. I agreed. The next morning (the day we are leaving), they bring my dress. I open it and see that my personalized, heirloom, bridal hanger (with my new last name) is bent beyond recognition. It was obvious someone had yanked down on it, with intent to ruin it.
– We spoke with several managers about it and one offered to fix it. They took about 3 weeks and did send it back, but my hanger is ruined. Done.
– One day, housekeeping never came. At 4pm I called, after us having left around 7:30. I was literally laughed at and told I was silly for requesting such a thing. When I explained no one ever clame to clean that day she said oh…well we can come tomorrow. We didn’t have anything on our door saying to leave us alone, so we had no idea what that was about.
– Our butler box (popular in the Caribbean, it’s a box that it attached to your room, where you put room service food, once you are done) took several days to be cleaned out.
– It took at minimum, 30-45 min to get a drink on the Preferred Club or pool area…despite tipping. We just started getting our own.
– The spa, where I got my make-up done, only had one color palette of make-up and had no interest in looking at the photos I brought. I kept asking for different colors and she kept telling me they didn’t have anything else. This is supposed to be a world-class spa…
– Flies were everywhere, during the day. Landing and crawling on every food that was set out. I guess they are used to them b/c they would just shoo them away and then take food.
– Secrets employees eat in the same areas and at the same times as guests. That’s fine. You know what’s not fine? When they cut in line and jump in front of you to get their food, instead of waiting like everyone else.
The attitude in Jamaica…at least in this hotel, is “No problem, Mon!”. Well, there were problems everywhere. I won’t say it’s the country of Jamaica, b/c that would be ignorant. But we don’t want to return…we just can’t see why we would. We were offered a 3 night stay in the coming year…at the same hotel. But we felt that was a joke.
The good points were we loved the Hibachi restaurant and on our wedding day, one of the hostessess at the Italian place went through hell and high water to make it very special.
I’m just one person. But I am fair. And understanding. And realize when I’m not in the US. But this all was beyond anything I could handle. We are married…most importantly. But we don’t have good memories of our wedding and HM. We just don’t.
But we would try other Secrets resorts based on our amazing time in Mexico at one. That was just amazing.