Post # 1
I am so sad right now and I spent most of yesterday crying and calling up new venues.
I received a call yesterday morning from my venue coordinator telling us the bad news that they canceled our contract and our date is no longer available because… get this… spaghetti bingo night. Let that sink in.
Our original venue was at a private school and it was affordable and met a lot of our needs including tables + chairs included, area for food trucks, full kitchen, and more. Apparently the prinicipal or whoever in charge did not want to budge and move their bingo night to the week before or the week after and our coordinator was forced to cancel our reservation.
I spent most of yesterday and a bit of this morning calling up other venues including rec centers and community centers around San Francisco as well as nearby but almost all of them are either out of our budget ($10k+ to rent) or the date 9/19 is not available. I asked the coordinator for the principals number and I’m going to call and talk to him to see if he will budge but my chances are very low.
Does anyone have any other venue recommendations or ideas for San Francisco/south of San Francisco?
Best if it can fit the following criteria:
1. ceremony + reception: accommodate 200-250
2. outside caterers OK – food truck accessible, possible kitchen
3. parking & transportation accesible (free parking)
4. Prefer SF but open to Bay Area mainly south of SF
5. Bonus: chairs & tables included
6. Under $3000
This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by mintycakes.
Post # 2
Did you have a contract with them? How were they legally able to break it?
Post # 3
yeah we did but apparently the principal refused to sign
Post # 4
Ummm WTF?? SPAGHETTI BINGO NIGHT???
OP, I am SO sorry this is happening to you. I just can’t even fathom someone being so ridiculous. I think it’s good that you’re going to reach out to the principal. Maybe if they have any heart at all they’ll change their mind.
When had you booked this venue? Why did it take so long for them to get it counter-signed?
Post # 5
I don’t understand how this could happened. Who did you talk to set up this contract and agreement with? Did you put a deposit down? sorry you are going through this.
Post # 6
wait what ? they cant just move your reservation.. I dont want to be the one to think worst case, but something seems a tad shady. were u told by your coordinator u had a contract? A contract is binding where both parties sign, if the principal didnt sign on behalf of the school, u didnt have a contract. how long ago had u signed this so called contract? And your coordinator didnt even bother telling u that the other party didnt sign? Yeah I’d be ticked off with this coordinator person for not speaking up and saying nothing was official earlier.
& I wont even address them telling u no for bingo night, lmao. u have to laugh at that seriously.
Post # 7
Yep.. I will forever hate the word combination spaghetti bingo night. We booked this venue earlier this month. I know the coordinator tried her best but still sucks a lot.
Post # 8
I would be pissed at the coordinator for not having them sign it that day. Both parties should sign the contract together
Post # 9
We set it up with the event coordinator and we put down half for the deposit which they agreed to refund.
Post # 10
we have a copy of the contract but when we signed it, I guess the principal wasn’t around so the coordinator said she’ll get back to us. 2 weeks later I emailed for a follow up and yesterday she calls me back telling me the bad news.
Post # 11
yeah I agree with Vermont2015
.. But im also paranoid so I wouldnt have taken this contract as a real thing until the other person signed. This whole situation is crappy and im sorry this happened to u. off first glance I see something called dogpatch wine works on a bridal blog and their rental fees start at $1500 but go up to 5K and they can accomodate 250 but it says they have limited availability in the fall.
Post # 12
So incredibly annoying and frustrating!! The school shoudl not have even taken your deposit without signing the contract. If the contract was never signed, they are able to refuse. I’m sorry, bee! The church we were initially going to get married in accepted our deposit, then I called to follow up a couple weeks later and they told me they had double booked and unfortuantely we couldn’t get married there. UGH. so frustrating! Just know that it will turn out wonderfully one way or another!
Some ideas…I love doing stuff like this! Your best bet may be going with a city owned hall to keep the price down.
Daly City has a few venues that can handle 200-300, all within your price range:
The Municipal Services Buiding Social Gall in South SF would work!
SF Rec & Parks Rentals:
Mission Blue Center looks pretty!
City of Burlingame Recreation Center:
Anyway, just search “City of ______ facility rentals” and see what you get! Good luck!
Post # 13
can you move your wedding to the weekend before or after?
Post # 14
so technically nothing was official since he did not sign? Did they say you had the venue from the start or that they would let you know? It amazes me how these places can cancel and ruin plans and be like oh here is your money back but the minute you break the contract it’s like oh you don’t get any of youe money back and we actually need more since we lost money. Seriously this should work both ways. They wasted your time. Anyways i hope you find a venue for your wedding. If you do find it for that date we will be wedding day twins.
Post # 15
Thanks so much sunshine! Looked into some of these, most are booked.
Sadly no. It’s a Chinese superstition thing with the parents and it also happens to land on our 9th year anniversary.