(Closed) My venue hold 250 max and there are 325 invited

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
2324 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2018

You have to stop inviting people. Just stop. I know it’s hard, but you need too! Is this a hometown wedding for most of the guests? How many people do you think will actually come?

Post # 4
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Pray.

Not helpful I know.

We wanted a small wedding (45-50) thenboth my mother… & my FH (who will never admit to it) started adding random people and the guests list climbed to a measly 65.  THANK GOD We are having a destination wedding on a Friday otherwise I would be in your situation. =o)

Look around the boards… there is a certain percentage of people who usually are unable to attend…. I forgot what the magical percentage was though. sorry!

So… I would do as the other poster said. STOP INVITING PEOPLE. Stick to your guns. Invite the people you BOTH know, you BOTH will keep in touch with for years to come, and who you BOTH would call on an annual basis at some point. And stick to only inviting those people. if you have space for more then you invite more per your parents request.

Or you are going to have to find another venue! And pay a higher cost! 

Post # 5
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

wow thats a big differnce between the max and who has been invited! yea i definitely agree, stop inviting! i dont konw what your budget is but its not only the venue that is affected, its your budget! im sure youve already realized that with all the extra money for the invitations and rsvps and envelopes and postage…

but theres also extra tables/chairs, linens, silverware/flatware, food, cake, centerpieces, program, favors, drinks (alcoholic/non alcoholic), etc. it adds up in every aspect of your wedding and thats something you should also consider.

i know you want all the people that you are close to share in your wedding but you have to look at who you are inviting and if its necessary. is it all family? are they close family? friends? friends of friends? coworkers? clients? friends of parents/clients of parents? guest +1?

having a big wedding is great but you cant cram all those people into the venue you have, it would be tacky and im sure that the venue wouldnt allow it. so, you may have to change venues! since youve already invited people and i wouldnt count on 75+ people to decline, go ahead and start looking at bigger venues.

good luck!

Post # 6
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

Yikes, that is a big gap. 

But I have to say that we invited 230 people and only 130 are attending.  Only my immediate family is from the area so most of his family and both of our friends had to fly or spend a long time in the car to get there.  So it really depends on how many people you are inviting from out of the area.

If you cannot find a new venue you need to keep a tight hold on the invite list.  Certainly do not invite anyone else, and wait for some RSVPS to start coming in.  And maybe consider not allowing everyone a +1.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Post # 7
196 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I agree with Pretty Kitty – just b/c you invite 320 doesn’t mean they’ll all come.  My friend that is getting married on Saturday invited about 325 and only 200 people are coming.  It is too bad for them b/c they had 250 set in stone with the hotel, and now they have to do what they can to up the amount their spending instead of saving money.  But, she said we get better apps, dinner, and longer drinking. 🙂  So it isn’t bad for us guests!

Good luck!

Post # 8
29 posts
Newbee

Most people say that you can only expect 60% of your guests to come. Don’t worry.

Post # 9
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

uh oh… your venue is gonna flip! Usually the maximum occupancy is a result of the fire code.

They say that larger guest lists can expect a larger percentage of declines, but it’s a risky game to play. What if all 325 show up & a bunch show up with a date!? Then what? I think you need to talk to the venue to see what their policy is on overages before you have to start uninviting people *gasp!*

Post # 10
964 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Wow!! Please don’t send out any more invites until you get some RSVPs back.

Post # 11
4803 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@mrsjjohnson2b: …old thread. OP’s wedding was in 2009, I’m sure she has it figured out by now 😉

The topic ‘My venue hold 250 max and there are 325 invited’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors