Post # 1
So I booked a hotel to have both my wedding ceremony and reception. It wasn’t my first choice to do it in a hotel, but since 95% of out guests are from out of town, it just made sense. Also, the hotel had this beautiful balcony overlooking a lake. A perfect spot to have the ceremony. After discussing these details with the venue coordinator, we booked and put down a deposit.
Well, fast forward to 6 weeks before my wedding, the former venue coordinator has gone on mat leave and a new one is taking her place. And she informs me that I am unable to have my ceremony on the balcony. She claims it is not their practice to do ceremonies on the balcony, unless less than 60 guests. She is very apologetic, acknowledges that she can see I was told differently by the former coordinator, but that it just won’t work.
Obviously, it is too late to change the venue, and we can have it on the lawn in front of the lake (where everyone in the hotel and restaurant will be looking at us – grrrr), but I feel I was blatently lied to in order to get me to sign a contract. How do you think I should approach this with the coordinator (I will be calling her later today)? Should I ask for something as compensation? I’m feeling very frustrated over this and wonder if I can trust them now….
Post # 3
Def express your frustration, and it’s not your fault you didnt know and you would like to know what they plan on doing to rectify the situation for you.
Post # 4
Yes, I think you should ask for something as compensation. I would just be sure to tell them that your signing the contract was directly contingent upon having the ceremony on the balcony. If they’re supposed to hold ceremonies there, then you never should’ve been told that in the first place.
Post # 5
Do you have it in writing that you can hold your ceremony on the balcony? If so, the new coordinator needs to explain *exactly* why it won’t work, and to offer you some form of compensation… if there was a ceremony fee, they ought to waive it, since you would have chosen a different location if you had known.
And if it “won’t work” because it’s too much work for her (e.g. “it’s hard to get chairs out onto the balcony”), then politely explain that you’re sorry for the extra work, but the balcony ceremony is a large part of the reason that you chose the venue, and that since her predecessor committed to it, she needs to find a way to make it happen.
Post # 6
Exactly what Bridetobee said. You ONLY booked the venue because you were told you have the ceremony. If you’d ever thought it would be held on the lawn where peopel can gawk, you never would have gone with them. Tell her that you feel as though the previous contract needs to be honored. Contracts take two people…doesn’t the VENUE have to uphold that contract, regardless of the DOC? Is there somebody above her taht you can repeal this too? Why “wont” it work? See if there’s a logical reason and find out what the old DOC was going to do to rectify it. Have the new DOC call her up. This is their issue to figure out–they gave you a contract stating they woudl supply X services.
I’m dealing with the same issue with a university–they told me last year I didn’t need another math class. So i applied. Then I got an email saying I NEED the math class. The old director left and the new one says i need it. So i’m appealing. All I can do is explain to them that I would have taken it LAST YEAR if I’d known I needed it, and they are heavily inconviencing me because I haven’t been notified of this before. So i’m basically just asking nicely for them to honor the previous email from the academic director. If he says no, i’m going to contact him and explain why it’s not feasible for me to enroll in and take a class 2 weeks prior to start and push off my application because I was given the go-ahead in December. But, granted, if they keep saying no, there isn’t a lot you can do except try to make it work.
Really push that you are NOT comfortable having your ceremony with all those strangers being able to watch. I wouldn’t be.