(Closed) My wedding might be ruined…

posted 6 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
5423 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

Ok this is not as bad as you think.  Is there anywhere that says you can get your deposit back before May?  Did you find a second venue you liked just as much?  I would look to find some back ups as a precaution.  However, nothing could change since weddings = money and business like that.

Post # 4
8882 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I’m sorry this happened, this plains sucks!

There has to be some other venue that you could find in the area. There is still 10 months, that’s plenty of time to find a new location, provided you can get your deposit back. Considering the drama going on with that location, I don’t see how they couldn’t give the deposit back.

Good luck!

Post # 6
3569 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I think you need to contact the venue and see what they are saying to people. In the meantime I hit the ground running and start looking for a plan b and C.

Post # 9
2194 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

step one…get out your.contract and read.it with a fine tooth comb -especially any language about cancellations

after that start calling other venues to get idea of date availability, decide if you want to stick w current or change and then.talk to current venue about whay will happen to existing contracts

i would aldo purchase wedding insurance (about $200) asap!!! never hurts to be extra protected

Post # 10
1543 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

well u have a contract. so if that owner cancels it i would think he would have to either A: give you a full refund or B: carry your wedding over to the new owners. Once you find out who said new owners are i would contact them ASAP and get a NEW contract signed with them. new owners can be a tricky business but you do have 10 months – be thankful this didn’t happen in august!


Post # 11
7649 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

Get your contract, read through it, and then what I would do is look at other venues, but wait until the new owners come in to play. They will have to give you a refund if the room isn’t ready for your wedding. Once the new owners come in to play at that point I would go in and discuss your wedding with them, and get that in writing. If they say it will be good to go then great. If not, then they should return your money for a full refund.

Post # 12
2194 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

i will also say even if someone buys hotel in may the chance that they would  breakground on a new condo by october is doubtful

most likely thry would finish out 2013 season and then start work after that.

my Fiance is a corporate architect and buildings like this take years of work…. to have it all done and bulldozers in a few months would be highly unusual

Post # 13
4192 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

Good call on wedding insurance- Wedsafe and Wedsure have decent prices- well worth it for piece of mind.

Agreed that with a May sale, it’s doubtful anything new. would happen by October-plans and permits can take several months just to get through. However, the new owners could decide to do a hotel remodel. 

I think at this point, you research your plans B&C, and unfortunately, you may just have to wait it out. When there are new owners, get a new contract with them immediately, as others said.

Post # 14
184 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012


Not necessarily true.  I work for an architecture firm that specializes in hospitality work.  When hotels change hands like this, and new owners have work they want done… they almost always want it done immediately.  Especially if it’s a renovation that requires very little design work. It’s not unusual for us to start constuction within months of ownship changes (sometimes weeks if you have a really overzealous new owner).

Point being…OP needs a plan B.  Hotel employees usually sign confidentiality agreements and won’t give specifics regarding renovation work being done (lest they’ll lose money on event bookings).  I’d err on the side of caution and just break the contract.

Post # 15
2194 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@LR2012:  i dont disagree that there might be some changes (new carpets/wallpaper, open up bar area) but I think the OP is more concerned that they are going to literally knock the whole place down and rebuild ground up. especially since she is dealing w historic registeted property i think that would be unlikely

seems more likely existing hotel will get makeover and undeveloped land will be used for new development

The topic ‘My wedding might be ruined…’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors