(Closed) Name Change & Taxes

posted 7 years ago in Married Life
Post # 3
4123 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

No idea, I’m waiting until after we file to legally change mine, lol 

Post # 4
1851 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I have no idea, but I was filing yesterday (I’m not married yet) and I think that I remember seeing a place for you to write any other name that you might go by (eg Maiden name). So I guess in that case you would use your legal name and then write your maiden in the other box? I did mine through turbo tax.

Post # 5
7695 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Just asked Darling Husband and he believes that it is the married name but then he said “Turbo Tax will tell us”

Post # 6
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

You should file your taxes under whatever name you currently are in the social security database under. 

If you think about it, they don’t have a “Bride Maiden” and a “Bride Current”.  The “Bride Maiden” name was just replaced by “Bride Current”.  If “Bride Current” doesn’t file taxes that would be bad and if you file under “Bride Maiden” they have to figure out who you really are. 

Post # 7
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

I agree with @caszos – file your taxes under your current legal name.  Honestly, all your income tax forms are coded to your social security #, and it really doesn’t matter if the name is different.  

Post # 8
3620 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Turbo Tax instructed me to do whatever was on my SS Card!

Post # 10
34 posts
  • Wedding: November 2010

Thanks for asking the question – I was wondering about this too!  Extra confused this year because when we got married I moved to a new state, so I’ve got maiden name in old state, maiden name in new state, and married name in new state… I’m sure it will be a fun process.

Post # 11
18643 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Yes it is okay to file under your new name even if the W2s are in your old name as long as you changed your name with the Social Secuirity Administration and not just the DMV (I know some states require you to go to the DMV first).

The topic ‘Name Change & Taxes’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors