(Closed) Name change??

posted 8 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
13943 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You need to change your name with the Social Security Administration first with a certified copy of your marriage license.  Then, they will give you a letter that says your name as been changed, and you can go to the DMV with that.  I’m pretty sure you also need the marriage license to change your passport.  Once you have a new social security card and driver’s license, I think the rest are pretty easy.   My friend ordered 10 copies of her marriage licenses (certified) and she said she still has a bunch laying around!

Post # 5
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I saw this online awhile ago and saved it to help me remember what I needed to change, it doesn’t all apply to me and I’m sure stuff is missing but it’s a good source

Post # 6
629 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

For passport, you need original marriage certificate though they return it to you.

DMV needed birth certificate, marriage certificate, new social security card and a piece of mail in envelope with married name in state ofMD. Didn’t have a piece of mail with envelope so husband signed to vouch for me.

Bank needed SS card and marriage certificate.

One credit card needed a copy of marriage certificate and another took the info by phone.

Cost of marriage certificates varies by state.

Post # 7
4192 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

I only got two certified copies of our marriage license- the only original I’m going to have to mail in will be for my new passport, and they’re supposed to send it back.

Don’t let the illustration above scare you- a lot of those changes aren’t a big deal- my doctors have told me “we’ll just change your name next time you’re in for an appointment.” And changing my name with DMV also changed my voter registration and EZ pass info.

A lot of things I’m not bothering with for now, like utilties, library card, etc.

Post # 11
3470 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

You start by changing it on your marriage license– once that’s done, you’ll need a certified copy to change most everything else. So, here’s the path I followed:

1. Mariage License– I got 3 copies, 1 for my safe deposit box, 1 for all the apps & things, & 1 to mail w/ my passport. I culd have done it with just 1 though, but then I wouldn’t have a copy anymore– I reccomend at least 2.  

2. Social Security– you need a certified copy (CC) of marriage license

3. DMV– need your SS card (or at least it changed in SS system) & CC

4. Bank– Some of them let me call & change, 2 need a copy, but not certified

5. Work– I-9 & W-4 need to be updated, 2 forms of ID required (SS card & Driver’s license)

6. Passport– Mail application, old passport & certified copy along with fees (will not get this copy back)

7. Insurance– home, medical, dental, & auto– so far they’ve just needed notification 

8. Subscriptions/Social– this is just a matter of calling each piece of mail that comes to the wrong name; it’ll take about 4-6 months to catch them all for me, but I’m in no rush since these don’t really matter much. 

Post # 12
3354 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

View original reply
@out4answers:  That’s what I did. I only ordered a copy, and I have the original so two copies of my marriage certificate in total.

Post # 13
3470 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

They give you your license back and print a paper one with your new name; they usually punch a hole in your old license though, so that it’s not good as a DL, but still as an ID. 

Post # 14
4673 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

We got two copies of our marraige license.  I still have one copy in my purse, and the other safely in the filled away, so really you only need one (we were offered one for $20, or two for $23 I think).  

First I went to the SS office, then after recieving my card (they said it was going to be 10 days, but it was really like 3 or 5 bussiness days!)

I went to the DMV (they never actually asked to se my SS card though, just my marriage license.  

The bank was surprisingly the most difficult for us.  I happened to have DH with me, but normally I wouldn’t have.  He needed to sign stuff and didn’t have his wallet with ID’s, but luckly they had enough information to do that switch.  

I haven’t done my passport yet, and a few other things such as car insurence and credit cards.  But I still have the copies of the marriage license I bought.  

Post # 15
41 posts
  • Wedding: September 2012

Don’t change your passport unless it’s expired. I had to renew mine for our honeymoon and I didn’t want to pay twice. When talking to our travel agent, they said you can travel on your maiden name on your passport. Just change your name when your passport expires.

Post # 16
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I needed to replace my old passport and I was afraid I’d be wasting money buying a brand new one with my maiden name just to get another one when my name changed….luckily, I read on the passport site that if you have a passport that was issued in the past year and your name is legally changed due to marriage you can apply for a new passport with your new name for no extra charge.  (I don’t know if this makes since, but it was helpful to me) –

The topic ‘Name change??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors